Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 3, 2005, 3:46 PM   #1

I am having difficulty deciding between these three cameras. The Casio Ex-500's small size and design is highly attractive, especially the fact that I can easily bring it with me everywhere I go and capture those everyday shots. If I were going for looks alone, this would be the easy choice, but that would be a silly sole criteria. I have read/heard mixed reviews and many say that the image quality is only average and some say that the anti-shake technology is pretty useless. I would also prefer the LCD resolution to be higher than the 80k pixels, but that is not a main criteria.

I currently have the older Canon S230 (3.2mgp), and have heard good things about the Canon SD400/450. I would prefer the SD450 for its larger screen size, and Canon has always been strong in image quality. But does anyone know if the Canon SD line is still having problems with LCD breakage?

Lastly, I have read good reviews on the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX7/8/9, especially on the optical image stabilization feature, which is rare on a compact camera, and is what the Casio S500 tries to digitally simulate. This feature is meant to help correct camera shake that is common when holding a compact camera. The rep at B&H photo (a well regarded NYC camera store) owns this and recommends the image quality.

I am a non-professional camera user, and primarily print 4"X6" photos, however I do at times zoom and crop. My main issue with my current camera is that indoor shots with long zoom come out blurry (ex. indoor graduation photos, indoor circus photos)

Can anyone please offer their thoughts??
cp3508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2005, 4:24 PM   #2

I also have heard decent reviews on the Fuji Finepix Z1 - another ultra compact camera. Comments on this camera would also be appreciated.
cp3508 is offline   Reply With Quote