Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 3, 2005, 9:01 PM   #11

Thanks, I appreciate the insight
culveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 9:16 PM   #12
Administrator

P.S.

If you end up deciding on a model that uses CompactFlash instead of Secure Digital, you can buy a Secure Digital to CompactFlash adapter for this purpose (allowing you to use your Secure Digital in it). Konica-Minolta makes one that also works in other cameras and devices.

But, these adapters tend to impact performance to some extent. So, a better way to go would be a dedicated CompactFlash card for a model that uses this media type (unless you weren't planning on buying a fast one anyway, but most of the newer DSLR models can take advantage of a faster card).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 11:44 PM   #13

Most people will support the choice of a D50, D70(s)or one of the Canon DLSR's.

I will make one suggestion. Consider the Pentax DSLR's. I have the *ist DS and really like it. It's priced slightly cheaper than the D50. You can get the camera with kit lens for about $650 online. It uses SD cards. (However, I wouldn't base my choice of DSLR on this).

Read Steve's review of the camera. Check out the Pentax forum. I think there were also some nice things said about it at: http://www.steves-digicams.com/smp/01022005.htmlin the Sunday Morning Photographer column.

Anyway, good luck in choosing.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 12:11 AM   #14

I echo his opinion as I recently ordered the *ist DS...I was choosing between the Rebel Xt, Nikon D50, and Pentax. My local camera shoppe had all three on hand and the Pentax just "felt right" and was priced RIGHT too ! Also, to answer your OP, check out http://www.keh.com as they specialize in selling Used SLRS/dSLRS....excellent reputation among the "semi/pro" crowd.
Quote:
Most people will support the choice of a D50, D70(s)or one of the Canon DLSR's.

I will make one suggestion. Consider the Pentax DSLR's. I have the *ist DS and really like it. It's priced slightly cheaper than the D50. You can get the camera with kit lens for about $650 online. It uses SD cards. (However, I wouldn't base my choice of DSLR on this).

Read Steve's review of the camera. Check out the Pentax forum. I think there were also some nice things said about it at: http://www.steves-digicams.com/smp/01022005.htmlin the Sunday Morning Photographer column.

Anyway, good luck in choosing.
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote