Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 3, 2005, 4:48 PM   #1

I just sold my Fuji E550 and was ready to get a Canon SD550 (as you may see in an earlier post of mine), but now I am strongly leaning towards a Nikon D50 dslr. The price is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger. I prefer to avoid gray-market and other such scams, but are there any legitimate outlets where I can purchase a good used (maybe refurbished)? Does anyone have horror or inspirational stories about taking this route?

There must be some place out there dealing with these used cameras.... All these reviews I read make it seem like some enthusiasts are just cycling through these cameras as soon as they come out.

Even if I could save $150, I could get a Nikon Coolpix 4100 to use for nights on the town when I'll want snapshots (I'm a college students). I really like that the D50 would be able to share the SD memory card. I figure I'll need at least 2GB storage and will want 2 lenses and an extra battery for the SLR. One battery will be good enough on the 4100 or something similarly small/good res/cheap
culveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2005, 5:00 PM   #2
Administrator

I doubt you'll see any genuine Nikon Factory reconditioned D50cameras for a while.

Usually, a replacement comes out before Nikon starts selling them that way (direct via theirNikonmall web site, as well as via authorized Nikon dealers), even if the model is still considered to be a current one.

My guess is they do it this way as not to impact sales too much for dealers that have the older models left on the shelves when a new one is introduced.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 6:16 PM   #3

How about other legitimate second-hand channels for getting a used dslr? I have checked ebay, but there really isn't anything on there

Cliff
Old Oct 3, 2005, 6:50 PM   #4
Administrator

Well, if you specifically want a D50, then they'll probably be pretty hard to come by since it's a relatively new model.

Try http://www.bhphotovideo.com, http://www.keh.com, and http://www.adorama.com

They all sell used gear (you'll see menu choices for used equipment on their web sites, and they all usually have a variety of used DLSR models in stock). I've bought usedgear from all 3.

Old Oct 3, 2005, 8:20 PM   #5

First off, thanks for your help.

I realize the D50 is relatively new. I have until the beginning of December before I really want to have my camera (for a mid-December trip). Do you think this would be enough time for some cameras to come on the market? Or would the holiday crunch maybe drive prices up?

Old Oct 3, 2005, 8:22 PM   #6
Administrator

culveric wrote:
Quote:
First off, thanks for your help.

I realize the D50 is relatively new. I have until the beginning of December before I really want to have my camera (for a mid-December trip). Do you think this would be enough time for some cameras to come on the market? Or would the holiday crunch maybe drive prices up?
You never know about these things. I once sold a used Nikon Coolpix 990 for more than I paid for it brand new on Ebay (probably because there was a supply shortage of them at the time and I was able to show it was in perfect working condition with test photos from it, even including some "lens cap on" exposures to show that there were no hot pixels at a couple of seconds with that one)

Old Oct 3, 2005, 8:32 PM   #7

This next one is a two part question... I'll start by saying that I'm leaning towards the D50 alot because of what I read on Ken Rockwell's website ( http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech.htm)... Is this website generally well regarded by people who know more about digital cameras than me? and Is it true that I wouldn't necessarily see better pictures with something like the 8MP Olympus E300? It seems to be about the same price, and I may lean towards the extra MPs

Cliff
Old Oct 3, 2005, 8:44 PM   #8
Administrator

Ken Rockwell, huh?

Well, Ken is an opionated guy. But, unlike most products he "reviews", he actually owns a Nikon DSLR (D70), and seems to be a favorite person to quote by Nikon fans (especially is comments on flash sync speed).

From reading his articles, I don't know how photographers have been taking photos for so many years without a 1/500 second flash sync speed. :-)

As for the Oly, I wouldn't personally buy one. The noise levels from that Kodak sensor are just far too high for my tastes. But, that sensor does have good dynamic range and Olympus makes good lenses. I wouldn't worry about the difference between 6 and 8 Megapixels.

But, then again, I wouldn't buy a Nikon D50 either for personal use. Nikon is encrypting the metadata related to White Balance in this model, and I'm against this practice since I think the only legitmate reason for doing it is to stifle competition from companies and individuals developing software that competes with Nikon's optional "Nikon Capture".

P.S.

In fairness to Nikon, they did cave in (probably due topublic pressure) with this encryptionissue and now have a new SDK they've provided to Adobe to decrypt the white balance (so that Adobe Camera Raw can support models that Nikon is using thispractice with).

But, I still don't want anything encryptedin the raw files fom a camera I buy. If some bright kid comes out with a new way to process the data, using a new demosaic concept, is he going to get the same Software Developers Kit? Also,they don't even have Software Developer Kits for most operating systems. So, whatif I don't want to run Windows?

Nope, no more Nikon products for me unless they reverse their policies regarding thisencryption nonsense and don't do it anymore (but, most users wouldn't care about this issue).

Old Oct 3, 2005, 8:50 PM   #9

Can I ask for a recommendation if you're recommending against the D50?

Keep in mind price is critical, and to that end.... The SD card in the D50 was sorta nice. I am, however, taking my time in all of this and very open to hear what you think

Thanks

Old Oct 3, 2005, 8:56 PM   #10
Administrator

culveric wrote:
Quote:
Can I ask for a recommendation if you're recommending against the D50?
I'm not "recommending against the D50". It's got a lot of bang for the buck for a camera in this market niche. I'm just pointing out why I personally wouldn't buy one (because of an issue most users wouldn't care about anyway).

Take any opinon you see on a forum with a grain of salt. Make up your own mind which model is best for your needs. Any opinion you see here is probably going to be biased, including mine. ;-)

Make sure to read the reviews here, paying particular attention to the review conclusion section, and check out the sample photos, too.

Also, make sure to try out any camera you consider in a store. You want to make sure you're comfortable with it's ergonomics, viewfinder, control layout, speed of operation, etc.

In the under $1k niche, I'd check out the new Konica-Minolta Maxxum 5D, too. Steve has a review in progress now and it should be finished soon. This one is at the top of my short list right now.