Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 4, 2005, 2:04 AM   #1

I need a new camera and would like to have 5-6 mp, 10-12x zoom w/image stabilizer or anti-blur, 640x480 @30fps, AA preferable, full auto and good manual controls for around $ 350 - $ 400. I've investigated the Konica Minolta Z5 and Z6, Kodak P850, Sony H-1 and the Fuji S5200.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Carman
Salleen 0366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2005, 10:36 PM   #2

Bueller...
Bueller...
Bueller...

Over 50 views and nobody has an opinion :?

Somebody please give your thoughts, I'd like to buy soon. :|

Thanks
Salleen 0366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 11:23 AM   #3

You need to discuss what you want in your camera. How you plan to use it. What's most important. I know nothing about the Minolta's, but it sounds like you are focusing in on a select group of camera's that all have very similar features. People need more information to help you along...
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 11:47 AM   #4

I will suggest panasonic FZ10/20. It is 4/5MP, 420mm zoom with IS, f2.8. All manual controls. But I don't think it would do video and no AA (don't know why people want AA, just buy an extra battery and you all set to go for 300-400 shots)
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 1:59 PM   #5

Hi-¬* ¬*I have a Konica Minolta Dimage Z5.¬* I'm new to digital photography but I'm web-shopped all the models mentioned and decided it's impossible to be sure without handling each one.¬* I bought the Z5 by web only,¬* based on Steve's review saying it had the shortest shutter lag (I HATE shutter lag!).¬* Then I saw a Canon S2 IS in a store here and had some buyer's remorse.¬* I didn't have time to power it up and play with it, but it felt better in my hand, has that swing-out pivoting LCD, and I trust the Canon name.¬* ¬*Then I re-checked Steve's review and found that the Canon has way better specs in every way EXCEPT shutter lag (and the LCD is¬*1.8" instead of 2", which is negligible).¬* And oh yeah, the Z5 can be had for a lot less money.¬*¬* A woman on this site said she got rid of her Z5 because the electronic viewfinder was too grainy.¬* Well, it's the only EVF I've ever looked through and it is somewhat grainy, but I didn't feel dissatisfied with it until I read her post .¬* It's too late to return the mail order Z5 anyway, and I can't afford to just buy another camera, but I may go back and power up the Canon to see what it's EVF is like.¬*¬* ¬*So basically, The Canon's better in every important way EXCEPT shutter lag, and I'm feeling not so great about my decision.¬* Live and learn.¬* ¬*--Snapitup
Snapitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 8:28 PM   #6

I have been going crazy over similar decision... Narrowed down to Sony H1 or Fuji s5200. I have 3 kids under 5. My pics are of them outdoors- beach, woods, sledding, 4 wheelin, and general nature activities. I am a simple point and shooter who wants quality pics and be able to get close to the action without disturbing it... Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!
kkoonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 8:49 PM   #7
Administrator

Snapitup wrote:
Quote:
A woman on this site said she got rid of her Z5 because the electronic viewfinder was too grainy. Well, it's the only EVF I've ever looked through and it is somewhat grainy, but I didn't feel dissatisfied with it until I read her post .
Don't sweat it. Can you see to frame your subject with it? That's what counts.

Check out my post in this thread in the Canon forum about why you see a grainy display in low light (the same thing applies to both the LCD and EVF):

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=15

That's normal behavior (grainy display when light gets lower). Some models might be grainer (from boosting the signal more), and some models may be "choppier" (from slowing down the refresh rate more), and some models may be a combination of both.

It's only trying to make sure you can see to frame as light gets lower (and indoors is low light to a camera).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 10:56 PM   #8

I have the Panasonic FZ15 (no longer available but its big brother the FZ20 is). I love it. I know they get knocked for low light noise but either I'm not smart enough to notice it much and/or I use the flash inside when needed. (That said, I just got a "take everywhere" companion, the Fuji F10, which is fantastic in low light without a flash)

The FZ20 is a 5MP, 12x optical zoom with IS, and can be found in the low $400's - definitely worth a look.
photocat is offline   Reply With Quote