Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 4, 2005, 8:07 AM   #1

nikon coolpix8800 or panasonic fz20
jstigwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2005, 11:10 AM   #2

This is a tough question. The answer depends on what you want to do with the camera, what features matter most to you, etc. I use the Panasonic FZ20 and enjoy it very much. I also considered the Nikon 8700 and 8800. The biggest difference for me at the time of purchase (December 2004) was the price differential: the Panasonic was several hundred dollars (US) less.

I will not say either camera is better than the other. I have not used the Nikons, but almost everything I've read about them is good. The Panasonic FZ20 is a good camera, and the new FZ30 is supposed to be quite good too. I think you'll be satisfied with either choice. Nikon is a good solid company and the Panasonics are a pleasant surprise for a company that was not known previously for its cameras. Nikon lenses are always superb and the Panasonics have great Leica lenses. Again, I think you'll be pleased either way. You should try them both out to see how they handle, etc. in your hands, how you like the controls, menus, etc. In the end, comfort may be an important deciding factor.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 5:47 PM   #3

thanks for your reply........ so you think that the fz 20 will bwe a good one...... hows this compare to the fz 5 ??????????
Old Oct 4, 2005, 6:15 PM   #4

I "hear" the FZ20 is better than the FZ30 right now as far as image quality goes. Apparantly too much noise in the FZ30 images at this point...
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 3:48 AM   #5

oh right....... what about the fz5 I no its not got as much manual controls as the nikon but for price and size its a little gem......

how do you think that would compare with the nikon
Old Oct 5, 2005, 8:56 AM   #6

Comparing the FZ5 to the Nikon 8800 is pretty tough. The FZ5 is not in the same "prosumer" category as the Nikon.

The FZ5's size is appealing (and it looks great!) but its lack of manual controls may be a significant concern if you want to grow beyond pointing-and-shooting. IMO, the FZ5 will be a reliable camera and it will give you nice images, but it just can't compare to a camera with all the added funcationality of the Nikon 8800. Do you you primarily want to point-and-shoot with little fuss, or do you want a camera that you can grow with? The FZ20 and the Nikon 8800 will allow to do both - point-and-shoot when it's convenient, and explore more creative manual options at your leisure.

If you were choosing between the FZ20 and the FZ30, I'd probably save a few bucks and get the FZ20. I've also "heard" and read that the FZ20's image quality is better than the FZ30's. I have no intention of "upgrading" from the 20 to the 30. Even though the 30 has some nice new features, I don't believe it's a significant enough improvement for me to change over. When I upgrade, it will likely be to a DSLR.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 12:19 PM   #7

At the time when I shopped for a camera, I dismissed the Nikkon 8800 for being to expensive. It has a nice metal body, bulb shutter mode, articulating LCD, high-res EVF and 8 MP!

But, at the end of the day, is it worth it? Looking at the prices on the review page, the Nikkon 8800 costs about $750. The Canon S2 IS and the Pana FZ20 are both about $500.

The S2 has a 15s slowest shutter speed, which I hardly ever use. Most of my long exposures can be done in much less. The full moon is VERY overexposed at 15s.

Pros and cons for the Nikkon. The rest of the cameras also has this handy chart,

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp8800/page21.asp
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 6:01 AM   #8

I think for some one like me the pana fz5 would probably do the job.... I do want a sort of point and shoot and i am not going to go that serious about photography!!!

I want a great camera that can give me better pictures more zoom and more mega pixels than a cannon ixus v3 ( my curent digi cam).

Any thoughts ???????