Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 4, 2005, 12:57 PM   #1

I was looking around for a dslr and i found this one. i noticed it can be got for cheaper than most dslr and i was just wondering how it compars to the others.I have a canon S2 and i would like to upgrade to something that gives me more control and something with a raw format. I like the zoom that the s2 has and that it has a lot of features and its pretty quick too and i know id have to get a zoom lens for the dslr but im just courious on how it compares to other dslrs and the s2. my main concern in money. i dont have a whole lot of it to spend. any thoughts or sugguestions would greatly be appericated. thanks

Dean
badhabbit05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2005, 1:09 PM   #2

For your money it'll be the best deal going imo! (ie, you're not looking to spend $400 to $1000 for2nd and 3rdlenses on all dSLR's from lens envy). The consistent complaint is how noisy the E-300 is at ISO 800 and 1600 - that is a decision that only you can make. Personally I've found ISO 800 very usable, and 1600 requires running it thru noise reduction programs if you're printing above 6x4" (and even at 6x4" if it's objectionable to you). When there's a good deal going on for the E-300 ($700 or so shipped for 2 lens kit), for less than the price of a RebelXT or D50, you get a far nicer camera and lenses - the 2 included lens will cover 28mm to 90mm, and 80mm to 300mm - a little over '10x zoom' range. Your other expense would be a CF card with at least 50x rating, possibly a second battery,2x UV filters (~$20 each for Hoya HMC from 2filters.com), a Polarizer, and perhaps an R72 filter if you'd like to try out Infrared photography.
core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 1:58 PM   #3

i already have 58mm filters that would fit on the olympus evolt e-300 (uv, polarizer amoung others) also a lens hood that would fit too. tough decision to make. any other advice.

Dean
badhabbit05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 12:07 PM   #4

fwiw you can go over here for a technical review of the E-300 kit len(s), and some Canon ones as well, pretty clear to me:

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html
core is offline   Reply With Quote