Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 4, 2005, 1:18 PM   #1

Hi there,

I have an old Canon S300, it's 2.1Mp, aged out style/bulkiness, bad USB port have ran it's course. It was a great camera for when it came out, but I need to upgrade now. The question I have is whether people think the new SD450/550 are worth the extra few bucks over the 400/500 units. It would seem theSD500 would be about the same price as SD450, with SD550 being around $60 more. Which one would you choose ? Don't really care much about the larger LCD on the newer models, only care if there is actual quality or other type of substantiated usage improvement.

Also, i have had rather poor results in the low light with the S300,weak flash,so I'm also hoping the new models are at least somewhat better than my4 year old camera, can anyone give me a perspective on how if any better any of these camerasare in that regard?

Thanks a bunch !

henryd31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2005, 3:35 PM   #2

from what I understand the only difference is the LCD screen. They are atill all using the same processor and glass. I have the SD300 and love it. The flash is relatively small, becuase the camera is so small, but the camera as a whole performs much better than the S410 I had before it. (Low light, speed, movie mode) you wont be disapointed by the upgrade.

If you want the ultimate performance in low light with a compact, it seems the Fuji F10 is the way to go. Not as small as the Canons, but the ISO speeds and noise are in another league.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 4:03 PM   #3

Thanks for the s410 to sd300 observation. So let me ask you, since I feel cameras in this class will pretty much have equally good quality shots outdoors for my purely amateur needs - family shots and such - and the only real problem I had with the S300 was the poor performance indoors, and putting all the other factors aside as having brand preference and such, would you go for the Fuji solution if you were me vs the new sd4/50/50 ? Do you have actual hands on with that camera ?
Old Oct 5, 2005, 3:00 PM   #4

Does anyone have experience with SD400/500 and SD450/550 and can opiniate

on which one would be best to get ? And which one works best in indoors ?
Old Oct 5, 2005, 3:34 PM   #5

I have played with both the F10 and the newer SD450/550 in the store. Granted, i was only able to view the photos on the resptive LCD's. The fuji F10 was able to capture shots that I could not get with my SD300, or the in store 550.

For example, at a recent wedding I wanted to capture pics of the kiss. I was about 30 feet away. Flash is useless at that distince, so i put the ISO up to 400, turned off the flash and could not get one hand held shot that wasnt blurry (to slow a shutter) From what I saw in the store, the F10 could get those shots, They might be noisy at ISO1600 or 800, but you will at least have something to work with, ie they will at least be sharp. I tend to like the canon photos better in normal shots, compared to what I have seen on the web samples, but th difference is minimal at best.

To sum it up, the newer models 450 or 550 are no better than the older 400 or 500, cept for the LCD. The F10 would be a better low light performer. The canons are smaller and faster. All of them will blow away your s300. I am considering switching to the F10 because alot of my pics are at parties and clubs, so the f10 would be a big help. The size is bigger though, and that has held me back so far.

good luck
Old Oct 6, 2005, 11:21 AM   #6

I went last night to local CC to check the Fuji F10, well, wasn't impressed. I think
compared to Canon's, Fujii kind of feels cheap, not very appealing. I guess that made me realize that the aesthetics/buildfeelof it does matter to me, or maybe it's because I need to include the wife factor in this decision :-(
So, I think I will go for the Canon, and probably either SD500 or SD450, unless
someone else thinks there is yet another option comparable build wise with Canon and better indoor performance ?
Old Oct 12, 2005, 6:49 PM   #7

the f-10 is way bulkier than the canons that is for sure just had both in my hands recently
lm67226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 7:12 PM   #8

fuji has a camera coming in november called the Z2. Will be of Canon SD size, but will have the same ISO1600 capabilities of the F10.In theory. Imma wait for the reviews, but if its true, then this looks like it will replace my sd300 for party duties