Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 4, 2005, 6:18 PM   #1

I am struggling with my first dslr purchase. It's a big investment so I want to make sure that I get it right. These are the three that I have pretty much narrowed down to and I'm looking for insights about what may make each a stronger camera. Please keep in mind that this is my first SLR. They all seem to be relatively equal in price for the body or body/lens kit.

Price is a primary concern for me, so value is critical.

I will also say that the anti-shake of the Konica Minolta Maxxum 5d is very intriguing for me. I will be taking the majority of my pictures on travels and I like to travel light (no tripod). This may create an issue because I really do enjoy photographing sunrises and other low-light situations. Will the anti-shake help here?

Thanks everyone
culveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2005, 12:56 PM   #2

I have recently made the same decision. While there was nothing wrong with the Nikon, it was discounted first because the others offered more attractive features. The Pentax had size on it's side as well as AA batteries, but jpeg in camera processing was a letdown (I believe that the *iSTDL is much improved in this area). I also considered the Fuji S9500, but the evf was a really big letdown and would have made it almost unuseable for my favourite type of photography.

I went for the KM 5D in the end. The KM 5D was still small, light and fitted my hand well. All the controls are easy to access, the kit was only £20 more than body only. It has very low noise, a wide iso range, large lcd, good AF performance and the battery lasts forever. The icing on the cake for me was the antishake which seems to work well and in combo with good high iso performance covers all the bases. Low light performance seems to be very good.
Ikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 9:49 PM   #3

For the last 5 weeks, I was also in the same boat- shopping and comparing all the "5 something" cameras. I have been pouring over this and other websites comparing features and picture quality until my head was just spinning with information. One of the things that helped me most was going into a camera store and actually holding the cameras in my hand and taking a few shots, looking through the menus and so forth.

I picked the KM Maxxum 5D for several reasons:

The availability of good quality used lenses
The built-in Anti-Shake
Many of the controls are on the outside of the camera and not inhidden in menus
Wireless flash capability
The camera is more compact than some others and just feels good in my hands.
Very good discount at Circuit City right now

Good luck in your hunting.
Kennybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 10:14 PM   #4
Administrator

The Maxxum 5D Review was posted a little earlier if you missed it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 7:19 AM   #5

Jim, I must have just missed it. Since you told me it was gonna be in the next two weeks, I swear I was checking at least10 times a day for it. I had just checked before posting in the forum last night.

Okay, I'll hold my breath and take a look. I don't expect anything bad, but I'm still within the 14 day return period in case I read some bad news.

By the way, it was the advertising link for circuit city from this website that led me to discover the good discount onthe KM Maxxum 5Dand I bought it on line the same day and drove an hour to go pick it up. So it may be annoying to be redirected to an ad, but for me it helped me save some buck$. $108 of them in fact.

So what did you think of the review and are you ready now to take the plunge. If not, ya wanna sell some of those lenses? hee hee
Old Oct 6, 2005, 8:41 AM   #6
Administrator

What did I think, huh? LOL

I've been studying the images from this model since long before it was even shipping, beginning with images from preproduction models, incuding raw and jpeg at ISO speeds through 3200 (and ISO 3200 is an option that's not even available on the Nikon D50 and Canon EOS-350D; unless you try to deliberately underexpose to get it)

Of course, you don't want to use ISO 3200 unless you have to. But, it's there if you need it, and this model's antishake let's you hand hold a camera at around 2 stops slower shutter speeds compared to any of the other models in the niche anyway in low light (so there is less of a chance that you will need it, depending on your subject type and focal length used).

Trust me, I didn't needthe review. I just wanted to let you guys know about it. The images look fine (compare the same subjects in the samples in other model's reviews).

Also, this model can write at approximately 1 raw frame/second *after* the buffer is full with a fast card like the Extreme III, working out to in excess of 8mb/second from user tests I've seen.

As near as I can tell from looking at CF write tests, that makes it faster than any other model writing to media, anywhere near it's price range (although the review called it's speed in that area "good"). So, Iwould have emphased that part a bit more in the review versus ranking it as "good" (althoughit does confirm the 1raw frame/secondafter the buffer is full). ;-)

That part is important to me (I'll probably want to shoot mostly raw), and helps to tip the scales towards it, despite it's smaller buffer size compared to a model like the KM 7D).

Old Oct 7, 2005, 8:17 AM   #7

Jim, thanks for the information about the write times. I purchased a 1G Sandisk Ultra II with the camera just because I couldn't find the CFExtreme III at Circuit City or Best Buy or Comp USA. Sold out? Or too new? I wasn't sure. And I didn't want to go back to the camera stores because - well, I didn't want them to know I purchased a camera elsewhere. But hey, I saved $108 by going to CC - basically allowing me toget my second zoom on eBay - Minolta 70-210 f/4 - for "free".

Jim, your advice has been invaluable to me.Thank you forhelp. I really feel good not only about the KM 5D, but about this forum andknowing there are patient,friendly, andknowledgebale people here who can answer my questions.

Okay, now the fun starts. Taking pictures! I'll see how well I do with it when I get it out this weekend -- if it isn't raining.

Kennybob
Old Oct 7, 2005, 8:37 AM   #8
Administrator

Kennybob wrote:
Quote:
Jim, thanks for the information about the write times. I purchased a 1G Sandisk Ultra II with the camera just because I couldn't find the CFExtreme III at Circuit City or Best Buy or Comp USA.
It should be a pretty fast card. One user test put it at 7.25 MB/Second in the 5D, as compared to 8.88 MB/Second for the Extreme III.

But, if memory serves, one overseas reviewer in Taiwan said the Ultra II tested a bit slower at around 6.5MB/second in a 5D (still pretty darn fast), which may have been a difference in card generations or sizes (for example, the 1GB cards tend to be a bit faster in the 7D, so the 5D is probably going to be similar).

Old Oct 11, 2005, 9:51 PM   #9

Jim,

I wish I could have found theExtreme III card. I'll keep my eye out for one and maybe I'll find one in time for my son's basketball season. In the meantime, I'll be taking pictures of mostly still subjects on my Ultra II. The fall leaves are first on my list and then some sightseeing in November.

By the way, my wife and I will be spending our vacation in Savannah. She is a huge Paula Deen fan so hopefully we'll get to eat at The Lady & Sons in between taking some pictures of what appears to be a very picturesque city.

Kenny
Old Oct 12, 2005, 8:36 AM   #10
Administrator

Kennybob wrote:
Quote:
I wish I could have found theExtreme III card. I'll keep my eye out for one and maybe I'll find one in time for my son's basketball season. In the meantime, I'll be taking pictures of mostly still subjects on my Ultra II. The fall leaves are first on my list and then some sightseeing in November.

By the way, my wife and I will be spending our vacation in Savannah. She is a huge Paula Deen fan so hopefully we'll get to eat at The Lady & Sons in between taking some pictures of what appears to be a very picturesque city.
The Ultra II is pretty fast in it (it's faster in a 5Dthan the Extreme III is with a 7D for writing to media) from user reports I've seen so far.

I'm originally from Savannah. But,I had not lived here forover30 years, until my wife and I movedhere a year or so ago (moving herefromMarietta, GA). Give me a yell when you guys decide to come and I'll try to make some suggestions on good places for photo ops.