Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 6, 2005, 11:19 AM   #1

So I have spent countless hours in the last few weeks looking at digital cameras and I have gone back and forth between dslr and ultracompact (ideally I'd be able to afford both, but just can't make it happen while I'm in school). The issue is that I don't have that much experience so I don't even really know if I'll enjoy shooting with an slr.

I am also at a point in my life where an ultracompact would be great half the time and an slr would be great the other half.

What do you guys think of the Casio EX-P700? Steve gave it a pretty positive review, and it looks like it may be a pretty good camera to learn manual stuff on. Added bonus for me is that it has a lens adapter, so I can play around with wide angle and other lenses/filters to see what that's like. Plus, it's still pocketable so it wouldn't use its usefullness if/when I go slr.

My other option is to just get a true ultracompact like the Canon SD550, and play with a film slr (not sure how that experience will be b/c I won't have instant feedback to current settings).

I guess I'm sort of leaning away from slr right now because I don't want to do it half-assed (short on $). Though Steve's review and a couple of responses I got about the KM 5D make that very tempting

culveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2005, 4:04 PM   #2

I'm also curious what anyone has to say about P700 vs. P600. Can anyone comment on image quality between the two?
culveric is offline   Reply With Quote