Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 7, 2005, 9:10 AM   #1

Have a couple of 35mm film SLR's, two "entry level" digital cameras, Kodak DC280 and Fujifilm A330. Would like to step up a bit, but not professional level. I am interested in the Fujifilm S5100 and S5200. The former can be had for over $100 less. Is the difference in price worth it?

Thanks

Steve Richie
toofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2005, 9:30 AM   #2

I got my S5100 about 4 months ago for $270 new and love it. So you might be able to get it for more than 100 less.

That said the S5200 will have a fixed lens that will zoom mechanically instead of motor powered. This is better since it allows more percision and helps reduce the possiblility of your camera breaking (i.e. the zoom motor failing on the S5100).

The difference in megapixels is really not much to talk about. It really is only about 12% more resolution jumping from a 4 to a 5 MP camera.

If I would you I would hold off just a little if possible until the camera have been reviewed so that you can better compare it to it's older model.

One thing about the S5100 is that is has some vignetting in almost everyshot. Wide angle shots are the most noticable. This can be fixed in editors but is a little annoying. I don't know if the S5200 will solve the problem.
nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 1:36 PM   #3

Thanks for your prompt reply. Am trying to line up my Christmas present, but would like to see some reviews on the S5200 first. If I wait until after Christmas the price will eventually drop. Of course a DSLR would be nice, just too expensive. By manual I assume you mean zooming by rotating the lens manually like my old Pentax film SLR.

Steve
Old Oct 7, 2005, 3:04 PM   #4

Yes I believe that is the case with the zoom.

Also I hear that it has higher ISO setting and uses the Super CCD similar to what is found in the F10 camera which is a very nice sensor. Unlike old Super CCD there is no interpolation to get the number of pixels. The 5200 is truely 5 MP.

Go to www.fujifilm.com and look at the 5200 for more information. Too bad there isn't a review yet.
nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 6:03 PM   #5

Thanks again. Will do so.