Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 11, 2005, 1:32 PM   #1

greetings,

New to this forum. Could definitely use some help. Looking for a prosumer digital camera. Travel by motorcycle and need to travel light. Interested in 28-200 (or more)range for the lens requirements. Some action shots, lots of people stuff (lots of group pics) mostly 4x6 prints with ability to print occasional 8 x 10's. I've been shopping the konika / minolta dIMAGE A200 but the Fuji S9000 has really caught my eye with the28-300 zoom. I'd appreciate some feedback from folks that have shot these cameras.

thanks

pigasus

pigasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2005, 1:57 PM   #2

KODAK Z7590/P850
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 2:00 PM   #3

canon S2
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 2:03 PM   #4

sony H1

Fuji 5200

Etc....

All of these are smaller than the S9000.

The S2, H1, P850 also have image stabilized lens and zooms closer to 30 - 400.

For 4x6 and the occasional 8x10 these are more than enough camera. I have the S2 and love it. The movie mode is great also if thats your thing.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 4:27 PM   #5

The choices all have offered look like great cameras, but most are missing the wide angle that the first two I looked at offered. Given the choice of range beyond 300 in the zoom or down to 28 for the wide angle, I would choose the wide angle option for large group photos. More options?
Old Oct 11, 2005, 4:41 PM   #6

KODAK P880

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...equestid=18295

Remember you can buy a wide angle lens for most any digital camera as well as a zoom teleconverter.

An Olympus T-CON TeleConversion lens would multiply the zoom by 1.7x

Bringing the 140mm zoom of the P880 to 238mm. For the life of me I can not remember the maker of the 2.4x teleconversion lens that would pump up the zoom to 336mm. These work on other camera's as well. As do add on wide angle lenses.

Old Oct 11, 2005, 6:43 PM   #7

Although it may be a little larger and heavier than you would like, I would recommend the Fuji S9000. The Sony R1 would be an option but it doesn't reach 200mm on the long end. Some are suggesting a wide angle add-on lens, I would not go that route unless you plan on using it only occasionally. The Kodak P880 is also worth a look, it only reaches 140mm on the tele end but has a very nice 24mm wide angle and a manual zoom for better handling than the P850.

All three of these cameras offer a good wide angle and handle more like DSLRs (no silly extending lens means fast startups). The Fuji offers the greatest zoom range, the Kodak appears to be the most compact and the Sony promises the best image quality eith its much larger sensor.

Good luck with your decision.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 7:50 PM   #8

Some are suggesting a wide angle add-on lens, I would not go that route unless you plan on using it only occasionally.

Some are not suggesting wide angle lenes or teleconverter lenses. Some are letting others know what options they have. Just as some might let others know about UV filters that are good to have on any camera with any lens for protection of the lens. I have all the above stated lenses, and do not leave home without them. What some others do is what they do, and makes no difference to me. Although I think it's a good idea anyone knows the options they have before they make a decision.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 10:02 AM   #9

I guess I should have been clearer when I made the statement that I wanted to travel light. I don't mind the size of the S-9000 or theMinoltaA200(I've been carrying a Canon Eos Elan IIe with a Sigma 28-200), as my concern was having to carry additional accessories. Most important considerations for this purchase: good picture quality; at least 28-200 zoom (with no teleconverter); minimum 5 megapixels (8" x 10" prints);anti shake would be a bonus; most shooting would be with provided auto settings.

thanks again for all of your input
Old Oct 12, 2005, 6:34 PM   #10

You could even look at a Pentax *ist if you want a relatively small camera with great quality.

Store it in your side bag.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote