Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 13, 2005, 9:46 PM   #1

Hi. My old camera just went out and I'm looking for something to tide me over for the next couple years until I can buy the S3 IS or whatever Canon has out then. I'm looking for something that takes good pictures but can be carried around when I travel. I will probably be spending some extended time in the 3rd world, so I want something durable. I definitely want AA batteries and would prefer the SD card, but xD would work as well. 4+ Megapixels would be nice. I'd like to go under $200, but the Canon A610 is pretty tempting. Otherwise, I'm torn between the A520, the new Pentax 60, or possibly the Olympus Sports Zoom 5050. I had a bad experience with a Fuji camera, so I'd probably rule them out. Does anybody have the new Pentax 60 or Canon 610, or have any advice on any of the other models here or one that I might have missed? I appreciate it.
dethsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2005, 11:24 PM   #2

I'm in much the same situation as you, except it'll be my first digicam. I'm leaning towards the A610 right now. What I'm wondering is how heavy it is withall 4AA batteries in. This is the only 'professional' review I've found on it so far - http://www.epinions.com/content_208157052548 Hope it helps with the decision.

I had looked at the A520 before as well, except my friend went to Kathmandu with it and apparently the screen blacked out on the third day there. She might just be unlucky, but it put me off the model nevertheless.
ceruceal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 1:20 AM   #3

Hi Dethsman: Try out the Olympus C5500. It takes great photos, it's a compact, well built 5MB 5x zoom with 4 AA batteries. It's owners rave about it; and it's hard to beat the features for the very reasonable price.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=22

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/c5500.html
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 6:58 AM   #4

You can also consider Panasonic DMC LZ2, with 2 AA batt, 5MP, and 6x optical zoom + Mega OIS (Optical Image Stabilizer)

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/lz2.html
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 9:20 AM   #5

I surely do agree with Steven. The best camera in this class is the Olympus C-5500. It is a lot of camera for very little money (approx $200) and well worth considering.

Ultra
ultrazoom22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 4:32 PM   #6

I see that there is a LOT of refurbished C5500's out there - is this because of a flaw in the camera, or just because it's been out for some time? Just wondering if anybody had any insight into any potential flaws in the camera, especially with the lens... THanks!
dethsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 9:36 PM   #7

In all honesty, the C-5500 is WITHOUT flaws. Most users did not know how to get the most out of the C-5500. Therefore a lot were returned under warranty, when then were indeed perfect in every way.

If you go to e-bay you will find Olympus selling those "re-furbished" C-5500's. Priced at less than $200, these C-5500's are an absolute bargain. Here is a sample photo.

Ultra
Attached Images

Old Oct 16, 2005, 9:47 PM   #8

Now, perhaps you might be saying to yourself: I really can't afford to spend LESS than $200 for an Olympus C-5500. Well, there is a lesser cost solution. Take a look at the amazing Olympus C-5000. It even has a hot shoe! Perhaps we should talk about your camera search a bit more. Shall we?

Ultra