Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 18, 2005, 4:19 PM   #11

These camerassound likethe perfectamateur photographer cameras. I'd buy one today if it wasn't for the only major problem I have with them:movie mode. Both formats take too much room (MJPEG & MPEG1) for high quality videos. Why didn't theygo for VGA 30fps MPEG-4 video? With the Canon S2 IS's silent zoom, the moment they come out with MPEG-4 (or H.264) support I'm jumping on it.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 8:53 PM   #12

I just purchased the H1. I chose it over the S2 for a few reasons:

The pics I've seen have less noise than the Canon, especially at higher ISOs.

I love the BIG screen and the EVF is also nicer on the Sony.

The Sony only takes 2 AA batts, the Canon takes four. I like to take an extra set with me, and the weight starts to add up.

The Sony flash is more powerful, with better coverage than the Canon.

The lens cap stays on the Sony, it falls off of the Canon.

One thing I will miss about the Canon is being able to zoom and take photos while in movie mode.

Hope that helps out!
MrcHaZ_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 7:50 AM   #13

I chose the S2 IS over the H1. The impression I got was that the Canon had a better lens than the Sony. The general consensus is that the H1 has quite a bit of CA (purple fringing).

I mainly use the EVF to compuse my shots, or if they are at a funny angle, I use the swivel LCD.

I like the fact that it takes 4 AA's instead of 2. Thus you can get more shots per battery charge. (I get about 800+ if I use the flash sparingly, 2500mAh)
In the tips and tricks forum someone also staded that the heavier the camera, the less the camera shake.

If you are purely after image qualiy, go for the FZ20. General consensus seems to be that has the best image quality by far in this class.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 11:28 AM   #14

Actually, the S2 has quite a bit of fringing (I have one) in the high contrast areas. Purple fringing isn't that difficult to fix in PP, though.

If you want to get into the nitty gritty, which is what you're going to need to do to differentiate the quality between the cameras, then:

1) H1 has less apparent noise at higher ISO's, but the S2 keeps more detail

2) From personal experience, the S2 has lots of PF in high contrast areas. Maybe the H1 does also, or not? I was under the impression the H1 was slightly better in this respect, though....*shrug*

3) The H1 has a much bigger screen! But, it doesn't move or rotate.

4) The H1 is slightly larger and (I think) heavier. But, the S2 does use 4 AA's, which probably pushes the weightof the S2 over the H1. However, the 4 AA's translates into better battery life.

5) Neither come with a hotshoe.

6) The S2 cap apparently falls off for a lot of people. My personal experience is that it doesn't. And I love the fact that I can turn the camera on and shoot immediately without worrying about a lens cap in place.

The biggest selling point for me on the S2 was the 2.4 fps burst mode (compared to the H1's...what is it? 1.3 fps?) and theimpressive video features.

If image quality is your only concern (as stated in your OP), then consider the FZ20 (like Carrots said). It has some noise, but overall will likely give you the best images of any camera in the range.
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 12:00 AM   #15

:|If it's image quality, very fast operational speed and high ISO capabilities you're looking for, look no further than the Fuji S5200. True, it lacks IS, but it does have a very workable Anti-Blur mode that in some ways is better than IS. I've posted a few shots on other threads in this forum that I took at ISO 800 that have very little detectable noise, andpurple fringingseems to be well controlled. The S5200 has other advantages, such as an automatic pop-up flash and a non-extending zoom lens that both the other cameras lack.The Fuji will record in RAW mode, which the H1 can't, and is almosttwohundred bucks cheaper thaneither of theother cameras. As far as build quality and looks are concerned, the S5200 is equal or better than the Sony or Canon; the Canon especiallylooks a bitflimsy and lightly constructedin comparison.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 1:59 AM   #16

It seems I was wrong about the CA. According to DPreview.com, the S2 IS has CA, and the H1 has MILD CA.

I have seen VERY little CA in my pictures with my S2, but that may be because I dont usually shoot in such high contrast conditions.

I suggest you go to www.dpreview.com and read at least the conclusions for both camera's reviews. They have a nice pro's and con's layout that makes it a bit easier comparing the two.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 11:29 AM   #17

toshi43 wrote:
Quote:
The Fuji will record in RAW mode, which the H1 can't, and is almosttwohundred bucks cheaper thaneither of theother cameras.
The S2 can't do RAW mode either. But, the S5200 (from prices I've seen) is only $100 cheaper at best. Still, I wonder how the S2 and H1 are going to compete with the S5200's price that low!! It really seems to be agreat camera.

I've been pondering the uses of the S5200 vs. the S2/H1...Seems the S5200 would be a better choice in almost all photographic situations (please correct me if I'm wrong!). While there are a lot of "features" to speak of, the high ISO capability of the S5200 really shines over IS imo. Imagine a camera (that isn't a dSLR)having both!

Still, I wonder if the S2/H1 type camera's aren't still better for sports/action and wildlife photography. With enough light, you don't need high ISO...and that is the Fuji's only measurable advantage imo.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 6:22 PM   #18

Here in Canada the S5200 lists for $499.99, I picked mine up for a few bucks less than that. Both the S2 and H1 list at 699.99, the lowest sale price I've seen on either of them was 629.99. Those are significant differences that are not reflected in better quality or performance for the higher priced cameras. Not being made of money, that's all the convincing I needed.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 7:28 AM   #19

list of other uz cams with pro + cons

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=87

Checkit out and comment to get the list as objective (nice word) as possible
nafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 3:17 PM   #20

toshi43 wrote:
Quote:
Those are significant differences that are not reflected in better quality or performance for the higher priced cameras.
Faster lens. Longer zoom. Wider wideangle. Better video mode. Stereo audio. Articulating LCD. IS. Smaller size. Faster and betterburst mode. Closer Macro mode.

Need I go on? Point being, I do feel there are performance benefits.

But, I'd still love to own an S5200 I'm going to a wedding tonight and I just KNOW the S5200 would suit me better than my S2...