Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 22, 2005, 7:45 PM   #21

Well, have fun anyway. If I could , I'd lend you my S5200....:whack:
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 8:36 PM   #22

Thanks for all this information everyone, as I was trying to decide between the two cameras being discussed and thought that was hard enough. I read all these posts with great interest and now the Panasonic Lumix and Fuji S5200 is in the equation as well. I am getting quite confused! I started looking at around 5 mp and 10x optical zoom cameras with a close up macro ability.

If I go back to the basics, my problem is that as well as wanting a simple to use, reasonable quality camera for general family and children snaps, I want to do some fishing "action" shots, like fish jumping type stuff, as well as extreme close ups like in fly tying. (Tiny little feathers on hook critters that I can enlarge with a high quality of detail and focus. )

With this information, could anyone please help my decision making a little easier? I was recommended a couple by camera shop salespeople but when I tried the macro function is was either poorer than promised, or deficient in the other functions like zoom etc.

I would really appreciate some help. Thanks.

:?

Chris
Wilcara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 9:16 PM   #23

Chris-

The Fuji S-5200/S-5600 has a wonderful macro mode that is very easy to use. When you couple that ease with macros with the high ISO capability, the 10X optical zoom, and the reduced noise when compared to other ultra zooms, the Fuji S-5200/S-5600 becomes a very attractive camera selection.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 1:00 AM   #24

Thanks Sarah, I was in fact just looking at your posts under the Fuji thread before I read your reply. The macro work I would want it to do is very close though, a fishing fly is tiny.

It seems the Fuji would fill all my other needs, and is cheaper that the ones I was looking at.

I have been using the salespeoples' wedding rings as an experiment when they tell me how great a macro is on a camera, and have surprised a couple when, despite manufactureer claims of 0 and 1.5cm macro, it proves just too difficult to obtain a clear focus on the "rock" . Would your Fuji revel in that kind of environment?

Thank you for your help by the way.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 2:22 AM   #25

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=7

This is a exaple of a macro shot with the S2 IS. Focussing on a diamond (or other transparent object), indoors sounds to me like a rather difficult task for any camera.

But I must also agree, the Fuji S5200/5600 sounds great. I wonder which oneI would choose if I had to choose all over again?

But the greatness of an articulating LCD cant be overstaded. I was photographing some rap-jumping this weekend, and while other people were hurting their necks looking up, I used my articulating LCD to compose.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 4:21 AM   #26

Carrots, thanks, that would be good enough for me!

By the way though, I cannot find any reviews or techno information on the Fuji, and the Fuji site leads me to an error message and eventually a mail address.

Anyone have any links I can get some info through?

Thanks again everyone.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 6:59 AM   #27

Chris-

The camera handbook for the Fuji S-5200/S-5600 list the macro distance as 10cm or 3.9 inches. By using a close-up lens, easily obtainable on www.ebay.com, the distance can be reduced to 1cm. I hope that helps.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 1:02 PM   #28

Hey Toshi, next time my brother gets married :?, I am coming over to borrow your S5200!!! My S2 produced some decent pictures, but about half of them were blurry due to either subject movement or even camera shake!!

Here is an example of an extreme shot for the S2. It actually turned out better than I thought. ISO400, 1/8th second, full 12x zoom, F3.5, unprocessed (only resized). The S5200 could have made this slightly brighter with ISO1600 and it probably could have stopped all motion blur.

And since we're on the subject of macro shots, here's one I took a long time ago. The articulating LCD made this shot a breeze If I remember correctly, it was cropped horizontally, but not vertically, then resized.

swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 3:27 PM   #29

The below image was casually taken hand held with S1 IS, full zoom(10X) and auto shoot.

This is not a great picture but just to show that S1 and S2 do perform well at full zoom with more serious pictures.(not casual ones i guess)

If s1 can produce decent images, i guess even S2 can.

There was no post processing to improve the color or sharpness or anything. Straight from the camera just to illustrate the picture quality with S1(hopefully in S2 too)

vivek
Attached Images

waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 6:04 PM   #30

I managed to get some more information on the Fuji and am very impressed, also with the price which is considerably less than I thought I was going to need to spend. As a result I have ordered the Fuji 5600 so now I will be impatient for it to arrive....

Hope to post some nice pics to share with you all. This is a great site, so I might stick around and learn some more.

Thanks again for your help.