Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 14, 2005, 5:32 PM   #1

Hi Guys,

I am a bit confused about Canon S2 IS and Sony H1.Please help me that which one will be the best in image quality.

I will be very much helpfull and greatfull 2 u.

Regards

Sona
sudarshansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2005, 9:17 AM   #2

Sona-

Most reviews tend to favor the Canon S-2 IS over the Sony H-1.

Ultra
ultrazoom22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 12:26 PM   #3

From the experience I had while evaluating ultrazooms to purchase (I don't own either of these -- I opted for the Panasonic FZ20), the H1 has the better lens. IT is a Zeiss lens, has MUCH LESS chromatic aberration than the S2, and has little barrel distortion or pincushion distortion. The S2 does have much better human factors to my mind than the H1, and a much better video mode. My feeling is that the Canon Digic II processor (which I have in an ultracompact camera) is about as good a processor as exists on the market for quickly focusingdifficult shots well. The Canon also has a good selection of camera presets that are easy to access, etc. These are the things that go into the human factors, along with button postition, menus, etc. All of that Canon does extremely well. The darn camera just has a very mediocre lens. So, if you really mean that the picture is what is driving your choice, I would suggest the H1 is the better camera. If GETTING the picture easily and reliably is your main object, the Canon has a better choice -- although the picture will be technically of a bit lower quality. Canon has many, many very loyal fans, so I expect you'll see no shortage of flaming responses to this shortly!

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 7:58 PM   #4

sudarshansen wrote:
Quote:
Hi Guys,

I am a bit confused about Canon S2 IS and Sony H1.Please help me that which one will be the best in image quality.

I will be very much helpfull and greatfull 2 u.

Regards

Sona
Hi Sona,

I've been doing the same search and looked at both the Sony H1 and the Canon S2 IS. I had issues with features on each and have selected Panasonic FZ30 as the one for me. The Sony looks great but has one major flaw for me - no zoom during video. The Canon S2 IS also looks great but has one major falw for me - the 1.8" display is just too small in a field of cameras with 2" or even 2.5" displays. The FZ30 is about $100 or so more expensive but wow what a camera.

When I held the H1 and S2 at Best Buy a couple of things stood out. The LCD on the Sony is exceptional, large, bright and clear. At the same time the button layout and ease of use factors on the Canon are much better. I don't think I would hand the H1 to my wife and expect her to use it for long with the more difficult user interface. I wasn't able to evaluate the overall feel of the two cameras as Best Buy has a security handle mounted on the bottom of their cameras with a retractable cord attached.

The FZ30 has an exceptional lens, great 2" LCD, easy layout, and in my opinion is the top pick in megazooms. I like the zoom ring, focus ring and AF assist lamp too.

All three cameras have been extensivly reviewed and there are image problems with all three - all at the highest zoom and high ISO. Seems like this is a factor in all high resolution digital cameras. Yet from the photos published I think the quality of any of these three cameras will satisfy me.That leaves the features as the key decision makers. This was not an easy decision. I put together a spreadsheet comparing the features of about 10 megazooms, weighted each feature to my liking, and scored the cameras. The FZ30 got the top score. Were anyone else take my spreadsheet and apply their own weighting they might end up with a different choice.

John

jdonalds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 8:46 PM   #5

tclune I am looing at this class of camera for my son so I am also in the same dilema. You nicely outlined the pros and cons of the Sony and Canon but did not mention why you bought the FZ20. Can you share that desicion with us?
pichataker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 10:54 PM   #6

tclune-

Can you CLEARLY document that the Sony H-1 has the better lens, surpassing the Canon S-2 IS. I will look forward to your reply.

Ultra
Old Oct 17, 2005, 7:21 AM   #7

pichataker wrote:
Quote:
tclune I am looing at this class of camera for my son so I am also in the same dilema. You nicely outlined the pros and cons of the Sony and Canon but did not mention why you bought the FZ20. Can you share that desicion with us?
There were a few reasons. First, it had the features that I felt I needed. I feel that a hot shoe is absolutely essential for flash pictures. I also really wanted a remote shutter capability for tripod pictures.

Second, its Leica lens is amazing. It has virtually no chromatic aberration that I could see, across the entire zoom range. It has no discernable pincushion distortion at max. telephoto. It does have noticeable barrel distrotion at wide angle, but so does everything else in its class. I wish it had less, and went a bit further wide-angle, but it's as good as it gets among available cameras in its class. The lens is the brightest in its class, with a 2.8 max aperture across the zoom range. I really like the constant aperture -- in part because I normally shoot aperture-priority. I know that, if I adjust the zoom, I'm not going to suddenly end up with a different aperture/speed than I had before.

I don't care about video, and I'm willing to fiddle when setting up my shots, so the human factors wasn't that impprtant to me. So, for me, this camera was a no-brainer.

Aside to Ultrazoom22: I would think that most folks would take the amount of chromatic aberration as a very reasonable indicator of lens quality. If that doesn't matter to you, I'm willing to acknowledge that the S2 is just like any other lens. If it does, you should have no difficulty establishing for yourself which is the better lens.

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 8:46 AM   #8

tclune-

Thanks for your comment. I agree with it. My initial thought was that there was something about the Sony H-1 lens that gennerally was not known. After having used Zeiss lenses for quite awhile, the Sony branded lens on the H-1 came as something of a surprise. Thanks for clearing things up.

Ultra
Old Oct 17, 2005, 9:37 PM   #9

Thanks tclune
pichataker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 3:20 PM   #10

I was also looking at the two cameras you mentioned plus the panasonic fz5. In the end I opted for the fz5. I felt that it had the fasted autofocus of the three. It also had virtually no chromatic aberation, pin cushioning, and purple fringing. The camera is lighter and smaller than the other two. I have had it for about 5 weeks and have taken some really good shots. The lens is great on the fz and the user interface is really easy to use. Like most digitals the one weakness I have seen is that the flash is really not that powerful . I have been able to take some nice wedding shots in a church with no flash. I tested the s2 and I think it would also be a good camera but from the reviews I have read the lens is not as good as the panasonic and focus speed is not as good. IF you have any questions feel free to reply.

Ray
raymondp is offline   Reply With Quote