Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 16, 2005, 2:14 AM   #1

I'm looking for a camera to give to my parents. They're not technologically savvy, but know enough to get by. I was hoping to find a 4-5 Megapixel camera that's relatively easy to use (good auto features), but still has most of the manual options. It would preferably have a larger than normal LCD screen and should have at least 3x optical zoom. I was also hoping to find one that gets rid of red-eye fairly decently (preferably in the auto mode). I was looking at the Sony DSC W5, but the red-eye seems to still happen quite frequently. Any suggestions to send me on the right path?
afez8me is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2005, 9:15 AM   #2

It is hard to find, but the Kodak DX-7440 is a bargain, has 4X optical zoom, a full set of controls, and no red eye.

Ultra
ultrazoom22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 1:18 PM   #3

Thanks, I read the reviews on the Kodak DX-7440 and it looks like it might be about what I'm looking for. I need to go check it out in the store (if i can find it), but while I do does anyone else have any other suggestions?

afez8me
Old Oct 16, 2005, 9:48 PM   #4

I found a Kodak DX-7440 today, did you?

Ultra
ultrazoom22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 2:06 AM   #5

Yeah, actually I did. I found it at Fry's. I also found the Canon Powershot A610. It doesn't have quite as big of an LCD screen, but the controls are easy to use and the pictures came out a little bit better (as far as red eye goes) than those from the DX-7440, plus the flash seems to have a little bit longer range. I have extremely blue eyes, as does most of my family, so I think I may go with the A610 instead. Thanks again for your help though. You definitely gave me something to start with.