Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 16, 2005, 6:36 AM   #1

Hi,

I am torn between the nikon D50 and the canon rebel XT (350D). Price difference is not really an issue. I want something that will last me atleast 2-3 years. I am moving from a canon s40 to my first dSLR. I have been using a minolta maxxum 800si film camera for the past 10 years. I do understand a bit about photography, but now I feel more entusiastic about it and want to learn a great deal more. I also considered the canon 20D but after reading about similar results between the 20D and the rebel XT, I thought it may be wiser to stick to the 350D price range and invest in better lenses. I want to primarily shoot family pictures, wildlife, and sports events. I know that the 20D is ideally suited for this purpose, but a photographer friends suggests that the speed difference between the 350D and the 20D (3fps vs. 5fps) wont make much difference in my application.

The Nikon D50 has nice features such as the image reduction in the camera for internet usage, SD card, online help, etc. Ofcourse, none of these improve photograpic qualities, yet they are "convenient". Moreover, the 6mp is kinda putting off, but again I never really print large images.

Bottom line, I am confused. :? Any comment would be appreciated.

Regards,

Anurag Saraf (India)
Ragz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2005, 8:11 AM   #2

Ragz-

For me the grip on the 350D/XT and the viewfinder are total turnoffs. So I bought a Canon 20D. It is a great camera.

If you are considering the D-50 also take a look at the D-70 as well.

Ultra
ultrazoom22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 12:56 AM   #3

Ultra, Even I am really tempted to buy the canon 20D. I think its better to put more money in a much better product then go step by step. My only "mental block" is regarding any upgrade to the 20D. Its already been here for a while. Is it due for an upgrade anytime soon? The 350D is quite new, so I dont reckon that will change in atleast 12-18 months. Its a horrid feeling when you go get a $1500 gadget only to find out that within a few weeks/months a brand new "improved" version is out. :shock:

Anurag
Ragz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 9:12 AM   #4

If you have AF Minolta lens from your old Maxxum they will probably work if take a look at the Minolta 5D/7D.....
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 9:36 AM   #5
Administrator

Yes, I would definitely take a look at the Konica-Minolta Maxxum (a.k.a., Dynax) 5D and 7D models.

The 5D offers a lot of "bang for the buck" in this price range, and the best part, is that all of your lenses are stabilized, thanks to it's built in antishake function.

This allows you to shoot at much slower shutter speeds than would otherwise be possible without a tripod in low light. This can also come in handy if you need to stop down the aperture for greater depth of field in less than optimum lighting (shooting macros, etc. when you don't have a tripod handy), without worrrying as much about things like blur from camera shake.

Not only do other Minolta Maxxum/Dynax lenses work with this feature, but lenses made by Sigma, Tokina, Tamron, Vivitar and others making lenses in Minolta AF mount will enjoy the same benfits.

It also has some features not found in some of the other entry level models (for example, a Depth of Field Preview button like your 800si has). Thisis missing on the Nikon D50.

Another benefit is that you could use your lenses with both your 35mm and DSLR body (so you'd have a backup camera, or another one using a different lens for easier coverage of events). The exception would be lenses made specifically for Digital Cameras (for example, the newer DT series lenses from Konica-Minolta).

It also has a native ISO 3200 setting (missing on the Canon Digital Rebel XT and Nikon D50).

Ergonomics and build quality are also very goodfor a camera of this size and weight.

I'd also make sureto go to a dealer that stocks the models you are considering and try them out to make sure you buy one that fits you well (there can be a big difference between cameras for ergonomics, control layout, viewfinder usability, menus, etc.).

BTW, even though I already owned a Nikon 35mm SLR and lenses, I recently decided to get one of these KM DSLR models myself (I got a 5D). The benefit of Antishake with every lens, combined with very good color and images, along with higher ISO speed abilities, were allfactors in this decision.

P.S.

Sony and Konica-Minolta have also announced a partnership to jointly develop DSLR modelsthat can useMaxxum/Dynax mount lenses. Look for Sony DSLR models that can use Maxxum/Dynaxlenses next year (and I wouldn't be surprised to see some new models announced as early as the PMA show in February (although I have no specific information about new products they may introduce).

We ran a story on this partnership on our Breaking News Page in July:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digin....html#sony_slr

Sony is one of the largest manufacturers of the sensors used in Digital Cameras. So, this partnership could bring some very interesting models in the future that your lenses could also be used on from both Konica-Minolta and Sony.

Sony makes the sensors used in DSLR models made by Konica-Minolta, Nikon, and Pentax. They even make the 4MP 1/1.8" CCD Sensor used in your Canon S40, and both the Nikon D50 and KM 5D use a Sony 6MP sensor (much larger than the one in your Canon S40, which is why it can use much higher ISO speeds with lower noise levels and better dynamic range).

Canon makes their own sensors for their DSLR models now (but uses sensors from Sony, Panasonicand others for their non-DSLR models).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 10:54 AM   #6

The great Konica-Minolta Maxxum 5D viewfinder? Large, bright and perfect for those of uswho need glasses in whichastigmatism eliminates the diopter control.
Astronut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 10:59 AM   #7
Administrator

Astronut wrote:
Quote:
The great Konica-Minolta Maxxum 5D viewfinder? Large, bright and perfect for those of uswho need glasses in whichastigmatism eliminates the diopter control.

Actually, it's not *that* good (IMO, it's definitely not "perfect", but it's acceptable, especially considering the size and weight savings this model has over a larger camera).:-)

The KM 7D viewfinder is much better withmore eye relief (but then again,the 7D viewfinder is muchbetter than most DSLR models).

But, the 5D viewfinderis really notbad, either. I wear glasses andthe 5D viewfinderworks well enough for me (although the better viewfinder of the 7D would have been a nice thing to have).

P.S.

Here is what was said about it in theReview Conclusion

Quote:
The 5D's viewfinder is both bright and informative. All the necessary camera status information is presented on the bottom line, and focus areas are illuminated briefly when autofocus is locked. Complementing the 5D's Anti-shake feature, the right side of the viewfinder displays an Anti-shake scale that informs you of the amount of shake detected; reducing camera movement will improve the effectiveness of the 5D's Anti-shake feature. The viewfinder's deep rubber eye cup and dioptric adjustment easily accommodate eyeglass wearers, providing a clear and full view of the focusing screen and display areas.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 11:20 AM   #8

My original choices were between the Nikon D50 and the Pentax istDs. The Pentax was ahead by a nose because of the viewfinder and I have 5 K mount lenses. The KM5D jumped to the top of the listbecause of it's in-body stabilized sensor, 100ISO, and (I hope) low noise characteristics inherited from the KM7D. My Pentax lenses were all manual and 40 years old anyway.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 11:35 AM   #9
Administrator

Astronut wrote:
Quote:
My original choices were between the Nikon D50 and the Pentax istDs. The Pentax was ahead by a nose because of the viewfinder and I have 5 K mount lenses. The KM5D jumped to the top of the listbecause of it's in-body stabilized sensor, 100ISO, and (I hope) low noise characteristics inherited from the KM7D. My Pentax lenses were all manual and 40 years old anyway.
I've been quite pleased with the KM 5D (although I've only had it for a short time). I'll be giving it a better workout over the next couple of weeks with a variety of lenses (Minolta and Tamron).

Antishake is really *neat*, and I think the 5D isthe camera to beat in this market niche (and not only due to antishake, but other image quality and camera handling characteristics, too).

There's something about being able to take hand held photos at 1/10 to 1/20second at ISO 1600 without a flash or tripodin a dimly lit restaurant that's appealing to me (and I've already done this with mine, shooting wide open at f/2 with a 28mm f/2 on it.

I even stopped by the road night before last and took some hand held photos of the water and marsh with Tybee Island in the background, just *after* sunset, requiring shutter speeds from 1/8 to 1/13 second at ISO800 with a Tamron 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5 at40mm at f/3.5. The photos were nothing to write home about, especially with the shallow depth of field shooting wide open at f/3.5. But,antishake really works, and I'm having funwith my new "toy". ;-)

None of these cameras are "bad". So, I'd suggest reading the reviews, trying them out in a store, and picking the system that works best for you.

Old Oct 19, 2005, 11:37 AM   #10

The Anti-shake scale is a nice reminder to hold my breath and exhale slowly so as to not over tax the mechanics.

The KM5D viewfinder's deep rubber eye cup is farmore substantial than the other DSLR cameras in that price range.