Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 17, 2005, 11:35 AM   #1

This is a warning to anyone thinking about a Panasonic camera. I bought a DMC-FZ5 and had it less than 30 days before it started malfunctioning in the play mode (some type of warning saying it mode dial was not in the right position). Butterfly Photo, who has good prices but a short and strict 10 day return policy would not accept the camera back so I was forced to send it to a Panasonic service center. The service center said they "found corrosion" in the camera which voids all warranties. The camera never got wet though it did experience a few highly humid FL summer days and possibly some salt in the breeze. This is very aggravating since I have had an Olympus D-490 zoom for 5 years and it has not given 1 ounce of problems, even though it has seen many hot, humid days and even a rain sprinkle on occasion. Panasonic cameras are garbage in my opinion and their warranty department is equally poor. I talked to several people at Panasonic and none were willing or able to help get my camera fixed (for less than $300). This is one customer who will never buy another Panasonic product and I'm suggesting you avoid them too.
orbhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2005, 12:26 PM   #2

I have owned FZ1 for more than 2 yrs and no problems. Even my FZ5 is working fine ever since I bought it. I know atleast 20 people who have bought FZ1, FZ5, FZ20 and FZ30 and never have any issues. So maybe you got a lemon unit.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 12:54 PM   #3

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
I have owned FZ1 for more than 2 yrs and no problems. Even my FZ5 is working fine ever since I bought it. I know atleast 20 people who have bought FZ1, FZ5, FZ20 and FZ30 and never have any issues. So maybe you got a lemon unit.
Ditto, I have hadmy FZ-20 for a year now and it is a great camera. I also live in very humid conditions but I've never had a problem with my camera at all.

I can't speak to the issue of the Panasonic warranty but to trash the manufacturer and all their products because of one bad experience is wrong, IMO.
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 12:58 PM   #4

beernutz wrote:
Quote:
I can't speak to the issue of the Panasonic warranty but to trash the manufacturer and all their products because of one bad experience is wrong, IMO.
I have an FZ20, too, and I love it. But it's awfully hard to ignore the fact that (at least in the US -- Canada seems to have better consumer protection laws) Panasonic offers a terribly inadequate warranty. I've seen longer warranties on ripe bananas! They SHOULD be roasted for their refusal to stand behind their excellent product at least as much as every other reputable manufacturer does.

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 3:10 PM   #5

If I had a one month old camera I hadn't actually dropped in water that was refused warranty service because they found corrosion I think I would be very unhappy with the company. And I would likely warn others of their refusal to stand behind their product.

I don't think I would be assuaged that others received properly manufactured cameras either.

I think I might also consider the return policy when selecting an online seller as well. Many have 30 day return policies.

Panasonics in general seem to be reasonably corrosion resistant. My FZ10 regularly goes out in my boat with me, and it is a fast open runabout. It hasn't developed any problems in three years of use in the Florida humidity. I don't see a lot of problems reported with them on several boards I frequent.

But I'm disappointed to hear their service policy is so limited.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 3:49 PM   #6

If you purchased with credit card, you may have more of a warranty through them that you're not even aware of. Also if you make some noise to Panasonic directly via their site, you may get some satisfaction. I've had my FZ-10 for quite a while with no problems, but I'd be quite miffed if I got the run-around after just a short time of use.
In Florida you might want to check out the water-proof cameras as most of the cameras I've heard having problems with corrosion etc. tend to be near oceans, and it is NOT limited to just one company. Service OTOH....
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 2:13 PM   #7

I think you may have been subject to a retailer trying to get rid of a camera that theyknew was faulty. That may have been a repackaged returned camera or may been damaged at the warehouse and packaging changed. Better go check Butterfly Photo reseller ratings and contact your credit card company with your complaint. Unless the camera was dropped in water the corrosion should not taken hold so quickly.
sredd68 is offline   Reply With Quote