Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 23, 2005, 3:11 PM   #11

Sorry for the confusion, Nafta-

I decided to keep both the S-5200 and the P-850.

Ultra
ultrazoom22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 7:58 PM   #12

toshi43 wrote:
Quote:
I'm with Ultrazoom - the Fuji S5200 is the hands-down the best camera for the money. Try it - you'll be as impressed as I am.
Hey toshi, is the pic you posted with the S5200and a tele adapter? It looks like there is some serious corner blurriness - only the center is sharp(unless that is PP in the works)?

nafta/ultrazoom, I also noticed some strange posts from ultra. Sometimes people will post to speaklightly and get a reply from ultrazoom and vice versa *boggle*
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 1:13 PM   #13

Well after doing some research, readingreviews, comments ect along with the comments in this thread, I decided topick up a Fuji S5200. So far I'm not disapointed and not concerned about the lack of IS on this UltraZoom, the ISO 1600 setting is much better in my opinion then a camera with a max ISO 400 settings and IS, especially when you adda tripod or other stabalizer to hold the camera intothe mix. Even holding the camera steady, i've taken some pretty surprising images at highest zoom in decent lighting conditions just holding the camera, even when capturing moving targets.

The automatic settings are great and the camera does a great job of taking shots with them. The manual settings are more than sufficient to meet my needs and the raw format is a big bonus considering most cameras in this class with a higher price don't even have a raw format output. One note about the Raw format though, it's not supported in Photoshop, at least not yet I assume it will be in their next update of the plugin. The Fuji Raw to Tiff convertor isn't that great as it will only convert the image. I did find a nice free utility that does a pretty good job at letting you adjust a raw image before converting it.You can get it here. If anyone knows a way to get the Fuji Raw format to work with Photoshops Digital Camera support or a better utility, pleaselet me know.

http://www.photo-freeware.net/s7raw.php

I did notice a little bit of noise, especially with the higher ISO settings and darker lighting conditions but it was much better than some of the other cameras I checked out and nothing that couldn't be handled by a noise filter utility which in my opinion is a must have with any digital camera if you want to improve your prints.

The camera is full of manual settings to satisfy most intermediate photographers andmore than enough to satisfy my needs to be a little creative.

All in all, if anyone has been considering this camera, it's a great camera at a great priceand far better in my opinion than the Canon S2 IS for the money. Unless of course you are buying the camera to shoot video and want the ability to zoom in and out while recording sound in psuedo stereo :lol:

Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 1:24 PM   #14

I picked up a S5200 as well, for many of the same reasons, expecting it in tomorrow, and looking forward to the weekend when I will actually have some time to take the camera through its paces.

extremefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 2:23 PM   #15

Shoey wrote:
Quote:
All in all, if anyone has been considering this camera, it's a great camera at a great priceand far better in my opinion than the Canon S2 IS for the money. Unless of course you are buying the camera to shoot video and want the ability to zoom in and out while recording sound in psuedo stereo :lol:
It really kills me when people have to take stabs like this at other camera models for no reason. Shoey, you've got a great camera and I'm glad you're happy with your purchase. But, keep in mind that in your original post, you asked about action/sports photos. Reason I mention this is because the S2 is a better camera than the S5200 in that regards.

You want to be forced into higher ISO simply because you can't hold the camera still at 380mm? Not me. ISO 50 at 432mm, thank you very much. And the Fuji's burst mode doesn't even compare. What, 1 fps? pfft...Oh, that's right, the S5200 can actually do 2 fps...with a 3 frame limit :lol:

Every camera has it's benefits. And I truly believe the higher ISO capability of the S5200 is something to be amazed by. But, don't go off thinking the S5200 can do everything better than the S2, because it can't.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 2:37 PM   #16

What's your rationale behind saying the S2 is a better sports camera? Given the ISO differences, and the ability to shoot with a tripod, I would think the S5200 would have the edge. The S2 does not have the capability to stop action the way the S5200 can, right?
codimac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 3:33 PM   #17

codimac2 wrote:
Quote:
What's your rationale behind saying the S2 is a better sports camera? Given the ISO differences, and the ability to shoot with a tripod, I would think the S5200 would have the edge. The S2 does not have the capability to stop action the way the S5200 can, right?
I didn't give details because I was a little miffed. But, here's my opinion:

If it's outdoors in daylight, you don't need to raise ISO. And if you don't need to raise ISO, then ALL of the S5200's advantage is LOST! At that point it becomes a camera that can't even reach as far as the S2. And it's burst mode lacks in comparison. To me, burst mode is important for action photography. The S2's 2.4fps (unlimited)is not extremely fast, but it is much faster than the competition (save the FZ series, which I believe can do 3fps, but is also limited to only a few frames max).

If there is ANY need to raise the ISO, then the line between which camera takes action shots better starts to diminish. Eventually, theS5200 is going to become the better camera for action photography. IMO, indoor action = S5200, outdoor action = S2. I shoot most of my action shots outdoors at soccer games and swim events, which I feel is the S2's advantage.

Plus, I was factoringin the fact thatthe S2 has a longer telephoto range. If you are in the stands or shooting across the field, 380mm just isn't going to do it IMO. There are times when I feel I want even more than 432mm range!

I don't mean to put the S5200 down, because I'm sure it can take great action photos, but while it has a much better ISO advantage, it has less zoom and a much weaker burst mode.

Personally, I don't believe tripods are very useful in action photography. At least not for MY needs. A monopod might do well, but a tripod? Seems too restricting.

btw, IS will also help with panning action shots since it can help reduce camera shake in the vertical plane only. Since the Fuji doesn't have this option, the only way to stop camera shake is to raise ISO. This in turn stops down everything, including the background.

As you can see, I had no problems stopping this action at ISO 50. But, this wason a bright sunny day. The is some minor oversaturation, but this was the first week I bought the camera and have since learned to use it better.

Here is a picture taken at ISO200, F4.0,12x zoom. It is 1/160s, which is probably JUST fast enough to stop the action. The S5200 would have an easier job here, but as you can see it looks great (at this size). The full size image is a bit noisy (much more so than the S5200 would be at ISO200). But, I wonder...an S5200 might have to be set to ISO400 or 800 just to keep the camera shake out, which will also help stop the action, but in turn = noise.

In the end, I'm just trying to be fair to every camera model. Because everyone buys their camera for a different reason and the only way people are going to be properly informed is if we give honest feedback. Not just, "my camera is better because it can do *this* ".
Old Oct 24, 2005, 3:33 PM   #18

SWgod98, I think you're over reacting a bit there, keep in mind that this is MY personal opinion and anyone reading the post should take it as such. I think the Canon S2 IS is a great camera but my personal opinion based on the research and first hand experience, given what I was looking for and my budget, an UltraZoom camera capable of taking good quality shots in different situations, the Fuji S5200 is a much better deal for the money. It has all thefeatures Iexpected and some, does them well and even has the ability to work with RAW data.

The jab at the Canon's ability to record video at different zoom modes with pseudo stereo sound was meant to take away from the Canon S2 IS. It was meant in regards to the fact that I thinkFuji S5200 is in the same class at a much cheaper price, it has all the key features I expected, a bonus of an ISO 1600without burdening the price with features that are nice to have but not necessary in a digital camera.

Of course, this is just my opinion and anyone looking for a camera is going to agree or disagree depending on what situations they are buying the camera for and how will it meats those needs.

Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 3:44 PM   #19

You're right on the money shoey. Lately I've been very sensitive to people bashing other people and other camera models. I tend to defend them with a little too much ferocity :lol:
Old Oct 24, 2005, 10:06 PM   #20

swgod98 - I added the bluriness on purpose for 'artistic' purposes using Roxio PhotoSuite. No tele-adaptor was used, the camera was at full zoom, Anti-Blur mode at ISO 800.I dunno - should I try again?
Attached Images

toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote