Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 19, 2005, 10:07 AM   #1

Hi Steve - and everybody,

I have been on a quest lately for my first digicam. Did a lot of research, but it appears to me that the camera I want does not exist! I am not a serious photographer, I guess I fall into the beginner or family category. I would appreciate any help or opinions about:

1. digicam: ultracompact (preferred) or compact, point and shoot, wide-angle lens (min 28 mm equivalent), min 3x optical zoom, min 4 MP, large LCD- min 2.5 inch, under US$300
- not interested in manual features - all automatic is fine for me
- but very interested in high quality pictures

I short-listed 3 cameras that had a lot more than I want, but if I wanted the wide-angle lens I had to have the other stuff too. Unfortunately, I then realized that their LCDs were too small - something I really cannot accept, since I have sight problems!

2. I've discovered the Samsung A55W and L55W (this one is a bit too expensive).
But I cannot find any review and/or rating for either, only announcements and specifications.
- anybody knows of a review for either of these digicams?
- anybody has or has had any of these digicams? opinions?
- why is it that in many places I found on the Net, the wide-angle feature of the A55W is not even mentioned?!?
- I know that Samsung is not among the 'great' brand names in photography - should I trust the A55W to produce qood quality pictures?

With heartfelt thanks in anticipation,

Ily
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2005, 10:21 AM   #2

Hi i am just in the same situation but i have already order it, I took the risk in buying th a55w and i would like to know the same info.

Old Nov 1, 2005, 10:22 AM   #3

can anyone answer ?
Old Nov 7, 2005, 7:00 AM   #4

I'm in the same position.

I am an amateur and want a (preferably) compact digital zoom camera with a wide-angled lens (equivalent to 28mm on 35mm cameras).

I have been searching for info on the Samsung L55W but, like others, have only found the manufacturer's specs but no user opinions or professional reviews.

If not for the wide-angle rquirement, it would be so easy to choose a camera but I think wide-angle is important (I'm always having trouble trying to fit enough in with my existing Konica KDZ400, particularly with indoor shots) and very few seem to support it.

A shop suggested the Canon S60/S70 which are reviewed on this site.

If anyone has any further suggestions, or any user info on the Samsung L55W, I'd be grateful. Thanks.
tantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 9:00 AM   #5

If the only real obstacle is the lack of wide angle capacity (common to many digital cameras), you could consider the option of taking a couple of pictures and then stitching them together into a wider angle shot using software. Some cameras even have a "panorama assist" mode that helps you line up the shots properly. Otherwise, just take several shots, allowing 25-35% overlap and let the software put them together for you. If you look through the various forums here at Steve's you'll see lots of stitched wide-angle and even panoramic shots. Alternatively, you can buy wide-angle adaptors. Again, browse through Steve's forums as there is a wealth of information on these topics. I would caution you to check into these options before sinking your money into a camera that may not really be worthwhile in the long run. There may be a good reason why nobody has bothered reviewing the cameras you're looking at - they may not be worth the effort to test and review.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 10:39 AM   #6

That is terrible
Old Nov 9, 2005, 10:16 AM   #7

Does anyone ownan a55w????
Old Nov 14, 2005, 3:13 PM   #8

hey

does samsung has a nice digicam???

it seem nobody likes samsung cameras

i have checke the spec for a55w and L55w and they seem to be nice dicams but no body has written a single review

Old Nov 15, 2005, 5:16 PM   #9

machoman wrote:
Quote:
i have checke the spec for a55w and L55w and they seem to be nice dicams but no body has written a single review

Why ???
Old Nov 16, 2005, 9:33 AM   #10

strange enough.... have been googling for several weeks now, but found nothing really useful. Just a few high res pics from asia, this rating http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read...;opinion=27697, this useless mini-review http://www.reviewtime.co.uk/productview-634.html(bottom), another fake review and one user opinion that Ilost the link to - but there was also nothing specially useful to me. I only rememberabout not having the possibility to use the zoom while yourecord a movie. Even the original test shots from samsung seem like fake because some are taken in >5 Megapixel resolution (couldn't find that function described anywhere...).

Dear a55w owners!Please help making us happy again!

Michael