Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 20, 2005, 5:59 PM   #1

Hi, Im on my second digital camera. Im looking at $300-$400 range. Speed is a big priority as Im trying to capture a highly active baby. Ive heard Sony DSW7, Cannon A620, and Kodak V550. I tried doing my own research but really want expert opinons. I was leaning towards the sony, but some of the reviews arent that great. Im not partial to any one brand. I just want to capture moving targets in low light. Please advise
Roxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2005, 7:56 PM   #2

Roxie-

You might want to take a look at the new Fuji S-5200. It "boots up in 1.1 seconds, has a high ISO capability, and a burst mode.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 4:57 PM   #3

Hi, thank you for the advice. I checked the Fugicamera out (which you were right about the ISO)but it seems a bit too big for my everyday use and travel around. My primary needs is to capture active children in low light situations. then its your typical, parties, family gatherings, shows at bars. things like that. So some compactibility is an issue.

I went to another store and tried some out. It was suggested the Canon A620 either the 7mg or 5. (since I rarely do large prints)

Before I make a final decsion, is there any thing I should now or advice you or someone can give me. I want to make sure I make the right decision.

Thank you, - Rox
Roxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 5:52 PM   #4

Rox-

The Canon A-620 would be a good choice. If you like it , go for it.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 7:23 PM   #5

Kodak v550.

Same purpose as you 6 months ago of getting it to capture my over-active baby 1.5yr old that time.

It didn't disappoint me at all.

Ready to capture in 1 sec. Auto-mode can capture reasonably fast movement even in-door w/o too much motion-blur. I think it's auto shutter/aperture/ISO settings are very smart.

"Sport mode" might be better but I seldom use, bcoz it introduces 1 more sec of button press which would miss the interesting moments.

And if you are not confident in your own response time, simply switch to take great mpeg-4 movie, so all motions are captured. Filesize vs quality is so good that you won't be concerned about the capacity of your SD card (!GB for 30min 640x480). And most important of alll, movie mode is optical zoomable i.e. you don't have to run from front door to bed room to catch him, you just zoom onto him.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote