Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 21, 2005, 2:34 PM   #1

Does anybody make a good ultra zoom with a small form factor? Would be great if all or most of the lens retracted when not in use and you could put it in your pocket. Minimum 7x, 5mp.
B1ue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2005, 3:40 PM   #2

i think the smallest you will do here is the Coolpix s4.

Unfortunetely physics cant be readily overcome. Ultrazoom and pocketsize dont readily go together. Unlesss you have big pockets. I wouldnt call my Canon S4 pocketsize, but its small for what it does
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 6:03 PM   #3

I am sorry to say that the Nikon Coolpix S-4 has not done well in the reviews of that camera. Let's face facts. Any lens that will give you 7X optical zoom or greater by necessity has to be be fairly large, and most probably could not be characterized at pocket sized. Olympus makes the very smallest ultra zoom cameras without IS. Those would be the C-765, the C-770, and the SP-500.

The smallest ultra zoom with IS would be the Panasonic FZ-5. If you could be happy with 5X optical zoom, the Olympus C-7000 and the Pentax 750Z are pocketable.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 6:21 PM   #4

speaklightly wrote:
Quote:
[...]Let's face facts. Any lens that will give you 7X optical zoom or greater by necessity has to be be fairly large, and most probably could not be characterized at pocket sized.[...]
The Samsung Miniket series are extremely small, about the size of a deck of cards and boast 10x optical zoom. I'm not saying that they meet your resolution requirements, just pointing out that it is possible to have a 10x optical zoom in an extremely small form factor. Also, I don't know if you've seen the Sanyo Xacti Cx series, but there is talk about an HD version coming which will have 10x optical zoom, and it's also tiny. Both of these are definitly pocket size.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 7:28 PM   #5

Thanks for your replies. Disappointing about the S4... I'll look for more info on the Sanyo and wait to see what else is released between now and the holidays.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 7:29 PM   #6

(deleted duplicate post)
Old Oct 21, 2005, 7:40 PM   #7

Quote:
I am sorry to say that the Nikon Coolpix S-4 has not done well in the reviews of that camera.

Could you please point me to some of these reviews.

ag
aghauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 8:56 PM   #8

megapixel.net has one

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 22, 2005, 8:54 PM   #9

This S4 review is a little odd. It nit picks about various features of the camera, then gives it an overall favorable rating with high marks for image quality.
Old Oct 22, 2005, 9:13 PM   #10

B1ue-

Its true, the www.megapixel.net review of the Nikon S-4 is not too clear. But, at least for me, my feeling is that the jury is still out. So I will be cautious and wait for another review or two before deciding. None the less it is an interesting digital camera, and you may want to do what I do sometimes, and that is to purchase before any reviews are in print, based on your analysis of the specifications.

Another ultra zoom that falls into the hybrid category is the Pentax MX4. I actually own a Pextax MX4. It is an interesting digital camera. For example, it can focus on a macro item that is resting against its lens mount. But please keep in mind that it is a very square shaped digital camera, and surely not something that you are going to shove right into your pocket. Here is a sample macro shot from the MX4.

Sarah Joyce

Attached Images