Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 21, 2005, 7:03 PM   #1

My wife wants a smaller camera...she likes the 3500 has a swivel ability for 'self-portraits', but it's clumsy and easy to leave a finger print on the lens.

Plus it's a bit large for a 3.2MP cam.

I am looking to spend $300 on this for her at Christmas.

Some fast action is needed (she photographs our three cats a lot)

She is looking for full auto ability. We have CF cards currently and AAA and AA rechargables. It would be nice to keep using these...but in the ultra compact market we may have to change.

In our last 5 day vacataion we took about 100 pictures a day...she is Japanese though ...

Thanks

Chris

alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2005, 7:57 PM   #2

Chris-

Take a look at the Fuji F-10. It is a very highly rated camera selling for less than $300.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 7:51 PM   #3

Thanks I will look more into it. xD though ...may be a deal breaker.
alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 7:24 AM   #4

If your wish is to stay with the CF chips that the Nikon 3500 used, I am afraid that your choices are going to become very limited indeed. That would leave the Nikon 5400 or 8400 (which has been discontinued). Both are physically larger cameras.

If the SD chip format was acceptable to you, your choices would again become greater in number. Tell us a bit more about your qualms, please.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 24, 2005, 1:54 PM   #5

I would not consider the type of memory used to be a deal breaker. Memory is curently very cheap, and getting cheaper every day. Most types of memory are within a few bucks of each other at the most common sizes (256mb-1gb). There is almost no difference in quality, as all types are quite durable.

What matters most is image quality, and finding a camera that suits your needs. The type of memory used has no bearing on these qualities. As you are looking for a small, compact camera, it will be increasingly difficult to find one that uses CF cards, as the size of the card limits (to a certain extent) how small the camera can get.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 7:27 PM   #6

I surely do agree with the statement: Don't worry about memory chips. They are at an all time low price!

And might I add as well that the Fuji F-10 digital camera was one of the most highly acclaimed cameras of 2005. Take a look at a sample, no flash digital photo. Will your Canon or Kodak do that?

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Dec 16, 2005, 12:08 PM   #7

I just purchased an F-10 for my wife for Christmas. These are great pictures you have posted, especially the Hong Cong skyline. Any tips for a digital camera novice with a new Fuji F-10 that I may convey to my wife. Thanks
donchich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 12:36 PM   #8

WOW!! Now I wish I would have purchased an F10!!! That's an awesome picture to have not used a flash!! That's not typical of most automatic digitals, is it?
barrelracer is offline   Reply With Quote