Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 23, 2005, 1:24 PM   #1

Hey,

I'm looking to buy my girlfriend a Digital Compact Camera for Christmas. Now I know nothing about digital compacts so here is ideally what would like,

Pay £100 - £200
As many mega pixels as possible
Must be Apple Mac compatible
Movie, not essential but would be good
User friendly

Any suggestions would be great; if you cannot suggest a camera maybe suggest something I should be looking out for.

Thanks
grant.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2005, 2:32 PM   #2

grant-

It would be really helpful to have a bit more information please. Are you looking for a fully automatic point and shoot digital camera, or do you want some manual controls? Will your girl friend be making any 8" X 10" enlargements, or will the prints just be 4" X 6" snapshot size.

How much zoom do you want? Will you be taking a lot of low light level and flash shots in dark (pub-like) environments? With that data in hand we can offer better suggestions.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 2:48 PM   #3

Oh, OK,

Sorry, really did not think there was that much to it!

Well, friendly functionality should be a high priority, fully auto is more important than manual function, however, some would be good.

I think a 5MP should be sufficient, but again the more the better, I am more worried about image quality, nice a punchy, bigger the better.

Yes low light and flash shots well be used a lot.

Hope this helps, thanks for your reply Sarah

Regards

Grant
Old Oct 24, 2005, 8:35 AM   #4

Grant-

Many thanks for the added information. My suggestion would be either the Canon SD series, the Nikon 5900 or 7900 or the Fuji F-10. Because there will be a lot of low light and flash photos, I would tend to favor the Fuji F-10 as my first choice due its ability to use much higher ISO numbers, making it capable of flash shots in darker conditions and at a greater range (up to 24 feet, rather than the 10 to 12 foot range of the other cameras) as well as the ability to take good photos under less than ideal conditions. Here is a sample photo from the Fuji F-10.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Oct 24, 2005, 8:44 AM   #5

Thanks Sarah,

I will research all your suggestions, at least I now have a starting point, if not the product in your suggestion of the F-10.

Thanks again
Old Oct 25, 2005, 12:13 PM   #6

I agree with an Sarah's recommendation: Fuji Finepix F10. Great camera! I did my own research (Canon SD500 vs Casio Z750 vs Panasonic FX8 vs Oly Stylus 800 vs Fuji F10 vs Nikon etc), I tried all the mentioned cameras in a local store and settled on F10 primarily because of itse higher ISO capability. I am amazed by the quality of F10 shots. The only wish I haveis forthe AUTO ISO mode to choose a lower ISO setting than it currently does. You may want to wait until Fuji F11 is released at the end of November since it will have some improvements over F10 (manual shutter and aperture priority modes, better macro mode, higher resolution LCD etc).
gpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 5:53 PM   #7

gpwr-

The Fuji F-11 unfortunately will not be sold in the USA! Also if you select the ISO manually you willactually get better photos.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 25, 2005, 9:46 PM   #8

Do you think the F10 will drop in price (in the USA) when the F11 is introduced in UK next month, or in 'preparation' for another model to come out this next year here in the US ? Any new models/competitors that might 'force' a drop? I've pretty much decided to get the F10 but I can wait till near the end of this year if a decent drop in price is expected.

TIA, Charlie
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 10:09 PM   #9

Charlie-

It is a great digital camera. I do NOT think the price will drop at all.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 27, 2005, 5:28 PM   #10

Thanks. I purchased online from Butterfly last evening, $281 with shipping. It was between the F10 or the Z750. The F10 posted images seemed a bit more 'natural' to me and ultimately I wanted the best for low-light conditions without flash. Hopefully I didn't compromise too to get that, as I suspect the Z750 with ISO rating 400 might have been enough, but the price was just enough higher that I decided on the F10. Hard decision.

I'll be heading to the 'battery' section now to see if any generic 'proprietary' batteries exist for it. Any suggestions there? While I hate that the batteries are proprietary and need the cradle to charge, I was impressed by the number of shots that can be taken per charge. I also didn't like that it takes XD cards since I already own CF and SD, but no biggy as they normally stay with their respective cameras anyway and are cheap enough.

Thanks to all for helping me.

Charlie
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote