Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 23, 2005, 12:32 PM   #1

I will soon be purchasing a new digital camera. I take a lot of shots at night. I cannot see through my viewfinder at night with my current camera. Someone told me several digital cameras now have something similar to a "night vision" feature. Is this true? Which cameras would be the best for viewing my subjects at night--do any of the 10x+ zooms have this feature? Any opinions on which 10+ zooms would be the best for night shots (in terms of me being able to see the subject) is appreciated. Thanks
zeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2005, 1:21 PM   #2

The Kodak super zooms gain up in low light. The DX6490 turns black and white emphazing contrast in the subject. The DX7590 turns amber and the P850 EVF brightens but stays in color mode. The subject is very visible on the screen. Can't speak of the others, haven't used them at night.
sredd68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 1:26 PM   #3

sred68 is absolutely correct. When checking the specifications of any digital camera you are considering, be sure that the LCD or EVF "Gain Up" in low light levels. Here is a Fuji F-10 sample night photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 2:56 PM   #4

There is a no night vision. if you can't see with your eye, the camera won't show you anything even if with "gain up". What kind of night shots?
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 7:22 PM   #5

What gives, bobbyz?

I gave you a great example photo taken in Hong Kong. Most folks love that photo. What went wrong? Do you want more night photos, hon. I have lots of them. Perhaps you can give me a bit more by way of an explanation. Thanks!

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 24, 2005, 7:26 PM   #6

Great shot
photo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 7:33 PM   #7

speaklightly wrote:
Quote:
sred68 is absolutely correct. When checking the specifications of any digital camera you are considering, be sure that the LCD or EVF "Gain Up" in low light levels. Here is a Fuji F-10 sample night photo.

Sarah Joyce
Wow that is very nice shot, with Shutterspeed 1/80, ISO 800 consider very clear
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 7:57 PM   #8

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
There is a no night vision. if you can't see with your eye, the camera won't show you anything even if with "gain up". What kind of night shots?
Some of the Sony cameras can let you see the viewfinder and take shots in light in which you can't see. The viewfinder and shots look green like a nightvision scope. You can also frame and focus in the dark, then take a good focused flash shot that looks normal.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 8:22 PM   #9

OK! And then what?

Isn't the photo the real test? Or have I missed something? The moral of the story is that we all learn to deal with the failings of our own camera. Getting the photo, is the bottom line. Eh what?

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 26, 2005, 10:50 AM   #10

speaklightly wrote:
Quote:
What gives, bobbyz?

I gave you a great example photo taken in Hong Kong. Most folks love that photo. What went wrong? Do you want more night photos, hon. I have lots of them. Perhaps you can give me a bit more by way of an explanation. Thanks!

Sarah Joyce
I was just referring to the original poster where he issaying that he can't see through the viewfinder at night. Gain-Up feature only cranks up the ISO on digicams so make looking through the EVF/LCD better for low light situations. If you can't see something with your eyes (very dark), you can't see even if gain-up is there.

He is asking for "night vision" on 10x zooms.

Didn't know sony's "night vision" from their video cameras is also available on digicams.

bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote