Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 23, 2005, 5:27 PM   #1

Hi there,

I just signed up at the site after following links from google. Thought people here might be able to assist me with my dilema.

Photography has been a hobby of mine since a very early age. Upon graduating highschool in June the Top Photography Student award was bestowed on me and I even recieved a small scholarship. My teacher also uploaded some of my images on youthvisions.ca. Thankfully he let me use the schools Nikon 8700? anytime for how long I liked - as the camera I currently own is a wee little Canon A40. I've been wanting to purchase an new camera for quite awhile now, and only recently have I been able to afford such an investment. I don't want to make a bad choice.

Right now I'm debatin between the Canon Rebel XT, Nikon 8800, Lumix FZ300, and Samsung Pro815. I don't know! Each have their own pros and their own cons. Ultimatly its my decision, and I have to figure out exactly what I want the camera for. I want to be able to take professional quality images that could be sold one day, as I hope to start up a business of some kind where I can showcase and sell limited editions of my pieces. Money is an issue. I'd be able to afford the Rebel XT, but it would be many a ages before more lenses for the camera would be possible. I love the image quality of Canon, not sure what the others are like. Even with my little 2mp camera, some of the images have been amazing and people who have seen them are very surprised that its from 2mp camera. I know that traditional SLR's are probably the best, but considering I'm still learning and am a shutter bug, the film for it would cost me an arm and a leg on its own. What I don't really like about the XT is that it doesn't have a movie mode - something that is kind of nice to have to capture a small moment live with audio. So thats why I'm also leaning towards the prosumer non DSLR cameras. But not sure how their image quality compares. Theres so many cameras out there, and there's even more reviews! So so so many reviews. :shock: some being pro others completely con.

So I'm very much hoping you guys can give me some advice and suggestions, especially if you own, or have owned the cameras mentioned above.

hope to hear from you

amanda d
andromeda_myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2005, 7:33 PM   #2

? :sad:
andromeda_myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 9:11 PM   #3

I'm not quite sure what you're looking for. Any DSLR is going to cost you more if you want something other than the short kit lens they usually come with. If you buy only the body, a long zoom lens for one of thesewill stillcost hundreds of dollars more, sometimes more than the camera itself. Also, no DSLR will record video, no matter the price. All non-DSLRs will, although the quality varies widely and some don't record sound.

If portability is a requirement, DSLR camerasarealmost alwayslarger and heavier than the so-called prosumer or advanced digital cameras, especially if you have to carry around extra lenses and accessories.

The Samsung Pro815 may be an excellent camera, but it's huge and very heavy at about two pounds. It's much bulkier than equivalent cameras from other manufacturers, even some DSLRs,and it's expensive. A Nikon D50 DSLR with an 18 to 55 mm lens costsonly a few bucks moreand comes from a well-known camera maker, which Samsung definitely is not. But, as I noted, a longer lens will make it more expensive, but in my opinion you'll have a much better camera.

A high-resolution ultra-zoom like the Fuji S9000/9500 is probably your best bet. It's easy-handling and it's very fast, almost in DSLR territory. There are lots of S9000/9500 pics to check out on other threads in this forum. Click on the following link for a review. I hope you find this helpful. http://www.dcviews.com/_fuji/s9500.htm
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 11:30 PM   #4

Andromeda,

Photography has been your hobby since early age, I assume you know the basic, at least you know how to hold the camera with confidence, that's the firstchapter in photography and it is very important, the way to hold a camera can tell a little bit about your skill.

I am surprised to see you need helppicking a camera for your next step serious about making money in photography. Anyway, let me try to put inperspective for you to see a better picture.

Reviews and reading a spec of a paticular camera is only half the picture, in real life performance is the other half to make up the whole picture.

DSLR is not a simplebuying a camera, it's a long term investment, in your case let's put aside this investment until you have enough cash to makethat decision, however I stronly believe you will have your dream DSLR soon, because you have a goal,any man whodoesn't have a goal is the poorest man on earth.

You are interested in the Samsung 815, this is a new camera, Samsung is not a traditional camera maker, wait until you know how it perform in real life, to take pictures, a digital camera needs more than MP and a good optic, it needs good programmers, mathematicians to program that camera how it process data in nanoseconds.

Me too, I'm in the market to buy a DSLR, but I came across the Fuji S9000, I made the decision it's my next camera. Compare to other prosumers, the Fuji S9000 has the most options for me to improve my skill. By looking at Fuji history, their agressive strategy, and other of their expertise in many high tech sectors, I put my money in this camera. Check Fuji stock you know more about the company history its direction the ticker symbol is FUJIY. Fuji is in good financial status, it can select a strong team of engineers to make good cameras. Look at their latest fifth generation sensor, you don't see much right now because it just introduced to the market, but little by little you will see morepictures ofit in real life performance.

I don't pick a camera base on my need today, today I love to do macro photography, but tomorrow I might change to wildlife photography, and the day after I want to do portraits, people change, it's human nature, the S9000 will adapt to all my needs. The S9000 for me is a good investment, learning photography, there is no investment better than in education.

Whatever camera you pick, it should fulfill your goal, you are still in school, your teacher who posts your picture on the Youth Vision website will guide you in this process, his job is an educator, he' s already seen your potential.

In photography, what you see is not real, but what you don't see is real.:-)

coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 1:05 AM   #5
Super Moderator

amanda.

i checked out your photos on youthvisions.. i really liked your black and white snail shot..it was a simple but very effective composition.. nice work..

the control you have over the dof and other parameters with a dslr is simply unmatched.. and if you are seriously considering this as a profession, sooner or later you will end up with a dslr.. so, i say, why not start your collection now.. pick up the rebel xt and learn to use the kit lens effectively... save up for your next lens and build your collection.. rather than buy a prosumer right now and then have to buy a dslr down the road..

while you may think you will use the movie mode.. none of these cameras are a camcorder and chances are, you won't use it enough for that tobe a factor..

best of luck to you and let me know if you need any more help..

----------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 3:27 AM   #6
Super Moderator

I agree with Dustin.

Why wait for the SLR? Get the Rebel XT now with the kit lens, it will afford you the opportunity to really get to grips with the technical side of photography that you will need as you progress.

When you upgrade in later years the learning curve will already have been climbed, you really won't regret getting the SLR now.

Or for the same price as the XT you could try the new Sony DSC-R1: an APS-C sensor, a Zeiss lens with an effecive 24-105mm zoom, 10.4Mp, no worrying about dust, and video and live preview! This is really quite a revolutionary camera and should be available within a couple of weeks.

You'll have to throw it away when you're done rather than upgrade your lenses, but it seems to be a fantastic camera and in a completely different class to the "Nikon 8800, Lumix FZ300, and Samsung Pro815" you mention.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 1:55 PM   #7
Super Moderator

the only problem i have with peripatetics suggestion of the new sony is that it is the same price as the rebel xt and kit lens.. and like he says you have to throw it away when its life is over.

with the rebel xt, you simply upgrade bodies and all the accessories and lenses you have will be perfectly compatible with your next body..

its as good of time as any to start your collection..

best regards,
dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote