Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 24, 2005, 5:57 PM   #1

Does anybody know anything about Refurbished or "demo" cameras? I was very interested in buying one until I went to a local electronics store. A particular camera was chained next to a lap top computer that was also on display. The heat from the computer was direcected straight at the camera. Along with the heat there has to be some concern for the magnetics. Is this camera going to be refurbished or be considered a demo camera?

that scares me, is that a legitimate concern?

kidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2005, 7:18 PM   #2

kidblue-

Let's re-look at the situation. One of the biggest vendors on www.ebay.com is Olympus Auctions. This is the way Olympus re-markets their cameras that have been repaired/refurbished under their Warranty Program.

My rule of thumb is this: If the digital camera that you have in mind has been repaired/refurbished by the Original Manufacturer you are safe. In fact, you can even get an extended warranty on an Olympus refurbished digital camera.

I have had three of them and they are wonderful. I have never had a single problem with any camera. So if the camera has been refurbished by the Original Manfacturer, who also offers you a guarantee, consider/go for it. You will save money.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 12:23 PM   #3

Interestingly enough the cameras I'm looking at are on ebay.com The company selling them say it's been refurbished by Nikon but how do you really know? I'm not sure what to do.

kidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 4:39 PM   #4

Is it a Nikon 8400 or 8800? Nikon just finished refurbishing all of their own demo cameras and salesmen samples to close out the 8400 and 8800. That would make sense. A BTW those refurbished cameras are all marked with a Nikon seal verifying that they refurbished the cameras. Just ask for some verification.

The attached photo shows what the labeling should look like.

Sarah Joyce

Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote