Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 26, 2005, 6:09 PM   #1

hey all
i htink i have read everything there is about the fz series and the thing that keeps popping up is the issues with the noise.

From what i have read the fz30 has more noise than the 20 now i am thinking this bcse of the higher res ccd??

My quesition really is that i own the dscw5 from sony and i am wondering is the noise levels in the pana more or less than this model or any model from sony i guess. I mean i am quite happy withthe levels of noise from the sony and i think if this is the level of noise that everyone is complaoining about then i wil be a happy buyer

also do any of you think that the 30 is worth the extra cash for a am photographer.

in nz fz20 is arnd $850 and the 30 $1100. that quite a big prie differnece.

thansk
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2005, 8:40 AM   #2

kenmck15-

Having owned both the FZ-30 and the Sony W-5, I am afraid that I have to share with you that the FZ-30 has considerably more noise than the W-5. In fact it surprises a lot of folks. The FZ-20 has less noise, but still more than the W-5 IMHO.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 1:34 AM   #3

thank you for the reply

cheers you have helped me alot
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 10:36 AM   #4

My experience with the FZ10 (predecessor to the FZ20) is that noise is not a problem IF you have good lighting conditions. Otherwise, it can be very disconcerting. Pany's really shine for outdoor photography but indoor can be a pain unless you're a skilled photographer and 'know the ropes'. The choice for just about any of the non-dSLRs cameras is between noise and good detail or less noise and 'softer' images. The Panys can be made to look like the other 'less noise' models by using noise reduction software. I am of the opinion that the noise is actually there in the other brands, but the cameras use their own noise reduction algorithms 'in camera'.

If you want true noise reduction, increased dynamic range, and control of your photography, you really need to go dSLR which uses much larger CCDs.
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 11:52 AM   #5

Charlie46227 wrote:
Quote:
The choice for just about any of the non-dSLRs cameras is between noise and good detail or less noise and 'softer' images. The Panys can be made to look like the other 'less noise' models by using noise reduction software. I am of the opinion that the noise is actually there in the other brands, but the cameras use their own noise reduction algorithms 'in camera'.

If you want true noise reduction, increased dynamic range, and control of your photography, you really need to go dSLR which uses much larger CCDs.
This is my view, also. I would just add that, while you can always smooth the noise out of an image that didn't process it away in-camera, you can never bring back the detail that was smoothed away in-camera. I am four-square behind the Panasonic conservative approach to noise reduction. And, personally, I find that the graininess of a bit of noise is often preferable to my eye than the processed look of a smoothed image. I almost always apply less processing than is applied on any of the all-in-ones that I have seen other than Panasonic.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote