Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 27, 2005, 10:18 AM   #1

Ok, I've eliminated the Panasonic Z30 because my shots are so often indoors, low light. Now I need to decide 5200 vs. 9000 on the Fuji. What do you think? Will the 5200 actually give me better pictures, less noise, etc. if I mainly print at 4X6? I'm deciding today!

Thanks!
MyOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2005, 10:34 AM   #2

I can't speak from experience about the S9000. I don't have it. I had the S7000 and liked it. I also had the S5100, which is a good camera.

I got the S5200 yesterday and have taken perhaps 30 shots with it. It's an improvement over the S5100, I think, with significantly and noticeably faster start up and shorter shutter lag, and higher available ISO's.

If you're only going to print 4 X 6's, I would say that the S5200 is more than adequate in almost all cases. The one case I am not sure about is in low light. Both the S5200 and S9000 have available ISO settings at 800 and 1600. I have used neither of these with a tripod in low light but hand held there was a kind of smearing in some of my pictures. It's different from the blurriness I have seen in other cameras when the shutter spped is too slow. I don't know if this same thing happens with the S9000. I also don't know if it disappears in other light conditions. Some other forum members have posted some great fill flash portraits taken at ISO 800 and 1600.

Just from first impressions though, I would say that the S5200 should be enough for you. Save yourself 200 bucks if it is.

Good luck!

robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2005, 10:49 AM   #3

Just a second thought. I don't know what your budget is and whether your pictures generate income or just enjoyment for you.

If you have the money and low light capabilities are important for you, I would suggest considering one of three or the four of the less expensive DSLR's:

the Pentax *ist DS (or DS2)

the Konica-Minolta Maxxum 5D (with image stabilization)

The Canon Rebel XT

The Nikon D50

I have the Pentax. A DSLR has a much bigger sensor than almost all one piece digicams. Hence, they have less noise at higher ISOs.

Yeah, I know it's overkill, but if you make money from your photos, you will probably recoup your expenses quickly.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 12:49 PM   #4

For the folks who are price limited and don't want to haul around a huge kit of multi lenses and accessories, the Fuji S-5200/S-5600 and the Fuji S-9000/S-9500 offer a real life,lower cost option with some real performance.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2005, 1:13 PM   #5

Robbo-Yes, I've thought about that. I really want to be able to compose shots on the lcd, so it's P&S for me. I need to buy the camera for our upcoming vacation, so my plan is to buy a p&s now and 2-3 years from now buy a new one as the technology in the new Sony R1 trickles down...

I really appreciate your note of confidence on the 5200. I think you're right, though of course your comment on "smearing" in low light is worrisome. When you say it was in low light, how low was the light? I'll search the posts and see if I can find anything on that. You know though, after a while you just throw up your hands and give up!
Old Oct 27, 2005, 4:23 PM   #6

No smearing in this no flash, ISO 1600, photo done with my S-5200, at F 3.2 at 1/70th. All the exif info in there. The white balance was on auto and it did well even under crummy incandescent lighting. IMHO the S-5200 is a great camera, at a great price.

MT
Attached Images

Old Oct 27, 2005, 4:46 PM   #7

Hey MT, If you could be so kind as to indulge me, could you take the same picture with your G6? Then I could compare how they function in real life! I've been reading about fast and slow lenses and I'm wonderinghow the faster lens (I speak as a fool here) of the G6 compares to the slower lens but "natural light" ISO bump-up of the Fuji. ie. can the G6 do the same thing better because it has a faster lens? I'm just asking. Taking a picture of something in the house under normal, incandescent light is definitely real life and a reasonable way for me to judge! Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 27, 2005, 5:39 PM   #8

MyOnly

You have to understand that even with its faster lens, the G-6 simply could NOT have captured that Halloween decoration photo at all unless you put it on a tripod, whereas I hand held the S-5200 with ease.

I am packing this afternoon because we leave for Washington D.C. to do a workshop tomorrow. So going back to the doctor's office is not a realistic option, I am sorry to say. I can offer you a shot from last Halloween made with the G-6 using an improvised tripod. (a table top). The G-6 photo shows a lot of noise and it was taken with a lot more light than the Halloween decoration photo.

Keep in mind that under similiar circumstances the G-6 is going to need three to 4 times the light as the S-5200. High ISO capability is a very real and tangible advantage.

MT
Attached Images

Old Oct 27, 2005, 7:46 PM   #9

Your S5200 picture looks quite good.

I will try to take some low light shots with and without a tripod. Am hoping I can replicate your picture quality at high ISO's.

Even if the pictures are not as sharp, I would keep this camera. It's very responsive and the picture quality on ISO 400 and under is very good.

Old Oct 27, 2005, 8:06 PM   #10

Robbo-

I guess I have lost track at this stage. From what camera are you going to post an image? Please excuse me, if I seem confused. I am trying to pack for 2 weeks, thendrive for 8 hours to SFO, and then fly for another 5 hours to get to a Digital Cameras Made Really Easy workshop in Washington DC.

Thanks for your understanding.

MT