Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 28, 2005, 4:12 PM   #11

I'm actually only planning on getting the c5 because i can get one really cheap. Because it's only the camera, 512mb card and battery. I am hoping i can use this camera with all the accesories from my c4 including cables to charge/play on tv. Otherwise i would probably have waited for c6 and saved up.
s96024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 6:22 PM   #12

Steve in his review of the Kodak V550 mentions:
Quote:
The V550's movie mode suffers from aggressive compression. At 640x480 and 30fps, the V550's movies consume about 500-kilobytes per second, efficient from a memory perspective, but the resulting moving images have a very noticeable graininess caused by compression artifacts.
After viewing the video I can totally discard this camera from the above list. The amount of noise and compression artifacts does not make it a good camcorder replacement.

I totally agree with Caelumin his comment about Steves taking a more serious approach when making his review on the video mode of the cameras. It seems like there is a tendency of merging cameras with camcorders (since what is the point of carrying 2 when you can get away with one; talking in terms of amateur or consumer usage; obviously for professional results these 2 streams will never merge)...

As for the Sanyo C6 I will definetly wait for it to see it. I am doing my research so I can buy the camera as my own christmas treat (with a max of US$500) so we'll see if the C6 is in that price range...

Still if someone out there knows about links for the Optio S6 or some videos please let me know..
xcesskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2005, 7:31 PM   #13

I investigated on the Sanyo C6 and apart from the extra Megapixel it seems to have the same specs than the C5. When the C6 goes out the C5 will probably drop prices considerably so I might be interested in getting it:

So far the best cameras for MPEG4 recording seem to be:

- Casio Exilim EX-Z750

- Pentax Optio S6

- Sanyo Xacti C5

From the above probably the Casio has the worst video and the lack of image stabilization and not so crisp audio (plus no wind screen) makes it take third place for now. I still need to watch more S6 videos. Sanyo C5 has the lowest still resolution bt it's the best for video... Hopefully I will make my mind between these 3 cameras in the next 6 weeks before buying it... Thanks to everyone for their comments..
Old Oct 31, 2005, 9:52 AM   #14

xcesskills wrote:
Quote:
I investigated on the Sanyo C6 and apart from the extra Megapixel it seems to have the same specs than the C5[...]
I'll point out that the C6 features an improved graphics engine that boasts Sanyo's new "9 mixed pixels" technology which will, for one thing, provide better low light performance. As I mentionned in the Hybrid forum, the C5 has a max. movie ISO of 800 (400 in auto), the C6 has a max. movie ISO of 3600!
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 10:40 AM   #15

If you're planning to get shoot short videos, get the S2 and a 2GB card (or a set of cards depending on your needs), it really takes awesome movies and IS really makes de difference. I had a Pentax MX4 and it took good movies, but the Canon is really much better. The problem is that you can't get it to record files over 1GB (so you're limited to 7 minutes per file). If you're planning for larger scenes, get yourself a movie camera as no digital camera can satisfy video recording needs to a 100%, I would say not even to 50%, you will always have to compromise something.

Regards
schmiedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 12:05 PM   #16

Caelum said:

Quote:
I'll point out that the C6 features an improved graphics engine that boasts Sanyo's new "9 mixed pixels" technology which will, for one thing, provide better low light performance.
Low light performance is a big factor to take into account, specially for video. I hope the C6 comes out with a decent introductory price and I will look at it properly... Does anyone knows if Casio has a better camera for video than the EX-Z750??

Optio S6 is one of the first to have DivX encoding which delivers good resolution at small size, it also has image stabilization and low light capabilities. I am still waiting to see a good pro review of this camera...
Old Oct 31, 2005, 12:14 PM   #17

I have a nice low-light video from my S2 IS, it works great (downside is file size). The video I have is 125MB long, will see if I can take some small part out of it and see if I can post it.

Regards
schmiedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 2:52 PM   #18

I assume you guys are aware, but it wasn't mentionned here considering the thread's title so I'll mention it: cameras like the S2 take video in Motion JPEG, not MPEG-4 format. The S2's audio is also PCM 1.4Mbps, not compressed MPEG-4 AACaudio or even MPEG-1 layer 3 (mp3) audio. Yes, it takes nice movies, but with quality mode at 16 Mbps (= 120 MB per minute) it's hardly practical.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 8:34 PM   #19

Thanks for the clarfication Caelum. Now that you mention that the S2 is not MPEG-4 compliant, I assume that the SD300 is not compliant neither.. I totally agree that in order for a digital camera to be useful for taking video it should allow at the very least 30 mins of video per Gb (1 hour in DivX is acheivable at VGA resolution with very high quality though).. still waiting for a Optio S6 DivX movie to check the quality... and for some C6 movie sample to see the new features at a glance..
Old Nov 2, 2005, 11:20 PM   #20

I just got the Casio S500

It has anti-shaking features and captures video by saving it as MPEG4

It gives out decent video performance, only the sound feels 'high'
New User is offline   Reply With Quote