Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 27, 2005, 7:18 PM   #1

I am looking for a digital camera able to record video as the primary concern (I know, I know why not get a camcorder..well because I also need to be able to take decent shots ..). Ok the camera has to have at the very least the following specs:

- Able to record video at VGA (640x480) or more and at 24 or 30 fps.

- Nice stereo sound recording (preferably with wind filter)

- Able to record long videos (providing I have a 2 Gb SD card)

- Good still pictures (minimum 5 Megapixels)

So far I looked at several different models, some of them have better compression which means longer movies, some with better sound, etc.. My list so far comes down to :

- Casio EX-Z750 (Good video but wind noise makes a bad sound)

- Canon Powershot S2 IS (Best quality of video and audio, but huge video size)

- CoolPix7900 (Good video, so so sound but Quicktime format is a minus))

- Casio EX-P505 (Seems comparable to EX-Z750)

- Canon SD300 (Decent video and sound, need to see more videos)

- Pentax Optio S6 (Divx is a big plus but I have not seen any videos from this camera yet)

If you guys could help me making the right choice I will appreciate. Feel free to list any models that are not on this list and links to websites with videos will be excellent!

Thanks
xcesskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2005, 8:27 PM   #2

You might have a look at the Sanyo C5. 5Mp stills and 5X optical zoom you can use while recording movies. It has stereo sound with a wind buffer. MPEG4 with 640 X 480 @ 30fps.

It has no optical viewfinder but the LCD is transreflective, so you can use it in bright sunlight with the backlight off. The LCD evidently isn't great in low light though. And the flash is weak.

Not sure why you find the SD300 OK for video size but not the S2 – aren't they about the same?

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2005, 8:37 PM   #3

The video itself is pretty much the same, size and quality. I have both. The sound is better on the S2, and you have zoom and IS, so that makes it in the S2 favor. The file size is ~7.5 mnutes per gig.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 11:56 AM   #4

Slipe wrote:

Quote:
Not sure why you find the SD300 OK for video size but not the S2 – aren't they about the same?
My bad slipe, you are absolutely right about the video size , they are the same size.. I did checked the Sanyo C5 you mentioned and it looks very promising.. Do you have one of C5 yourself ?
xcesskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 12:31 PM   #5
kr5

Additional EX-P505 info -

1) it does record in stereo
2) you can optical zoom while filming, but it is not completely silent like the S2
kr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 12:34 PM   #6
kr5

Another thing to add:

The Kodak v550 and v530 should also be on your list - they meet every requirement except the stereo recording. I own a v550 and like it...
kr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 2:11 PM   #7

I think based on file size vs. quality the Sanyo C5 might have an edge. But keep in mind that the C6 is supposed to be here at the end of November and shouldsee an all around improvement over the C5 beyond extra pixels.

It's quite difficult right now since there is no-one really approaching cameras from a solid stateMPEG-4 standpoint, except the Hybrid forum here. Mostcamera sitesconcentrate on stills and most camcorder sites concentrate on DV tape/DVD/MPEG-2 models. Steve's Digicams has been including sample video clips, which is wonderful, but there is no consistent review approach to themovie component(except maybe to some extent the dog training footage) and it makes it difficult to compare models.

I'm having a difficult time tracking down any unedited sample footage from all digicams capable of MPEG-4. Now that it appears most digicams are moving towards MPEG-4 and hopefully H.264 in the future, I hope to see this reviewed as a serious main feature of digicams rather than a secondary bonus. When you can fitan hour of good to high quality movie footage inone widely available flash card I think it's become a main feature.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 3:20 PM   #8

I have used the c4 for about a year and it is great. Unfortunately i broke it so i am investing in a c5 which i hope will be even better (can't believe it could be much better). I know the c6 is coming out and i would probably go for that but can't quite afford it .
s96024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 3:36 PM   #9

s96024 wrote:
Quote:
I have used the c4 for about a year and it is great. Unfortunately i broke it[..]
May I ask how it broke, would you describe it as delicate?

Edit: And perhaps you might want to consider the C40 as a replacement, should have better low light performance.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 4:08 PM   #10

Not at all i gave it so much abuse. Dropped it so many times i've lost count. It actually isn't broken as such (I can still use it). I broke the screen when someone grabbed it and cracked the screen, still worked,then i got it coverd in foam at a foam party. It is completely the opposite of delicate. Its practically unbreakable!
s96024 is offline   Reply With Quote