Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 30, 2005, 1:38 PM   #11

Quote:
I have now taken indoor and outdoor shots with the Pentax ( auto settings ) and AM NOT IMPRESSED ! The Pentax goes back. The indoor and outdoor LOW LIGHT is really LOUSY with the Pentaz, the S2 on the other hand I was quite impressed with for low light.
I have not graduated to ISO settings yet.
Well, if you'd just learn how to select a high ISO setting on the pentax, I think you'd see how much better it can be in low light.
pterrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 7:01 PM   #12

Guys, I believe videosilva has made the right choice, let's just leave it at that. I was going to say more but I don't think it is necessary.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 2:53 AM   #13

Yip, he (just like me probably) will get much better images using the S2.

But hearing a DSLR costs the same as my S2..... it makes me want to spend some cash and get me one....
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 2:23 PM   #14

Well,

I have a BIG question for all of you. I bought myself a S2 IS because it was alot cheaper than ANY dSLR camera. VIDEOSILVA, how much did you finally pay for the S2? I know it costs under 500USD, and the Pentax with one lense costs around 700USD, I just don't understand where the SAME price can be.

I think the Canon S2 is a great product, and for a 200+USD difference (plus extra lenses), it's a really a great and cheaper alternative to a dSLR, but it will NEVER compare to one.

I would love to keep my Canon for outdoor daylight shooting and get myself a dSLR later for indoors low-light shooting or other needs for higher ISO settings.

Regards
schmiedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 7:19 PM   #15

Ok for a Canon S2 IS here in Canada Walmart $649.99 Future Shop $699.99 Best Buy $699.99. Best Buy has the S2 on sale at $669.99. Future Shop was clearing out the Pentaz for $699.99. This was the display model, the lens was beat up and I managed to talk the guy into giveing me a new one ( stock lens).

Guys really the Pentax low light is not great. I was expecting to see WOW WOW WOWO WOW, when I took pictures with the Pentax that was REALLY NOT the case at all.

If there is a difference with the S2 and the Pentax picture quaility it is VERY minimul. I have said it before I was very impressed with the S2 for low out door lighting. To take a picture in a forest with no lighting except a bonfire and the the picture come out decent was quite impressive.

The Pentax would have to produce a FANTASTIC picture for me to be willing to loose all the features of the S2.
videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 7:26 PM   #16

By the way I forgot to mention you have to add TAXES to all of the above prices so

$699.99 Canadian
+
7% GST ( Federal Sales Tax )
+
8% PST ( Provincial Sales Tax )

= 15 % Sales Tax ( Welcome to Canada )

Old Oct 31, 2005, 7:32 PM   #17

Well, OK, that makes more sense this way, it depends on the price one can get, I was hoping you had gotten the Pentax for around 500-550 USD. :lol:

Now, having said that, the Canon is for sure a great buy for the features it has, and specially for the IS. A Canon IS lense for the Rebel cameras costs over 1000USD, so a camera that has a zoom coverage of two of those lenses, the IS and other great features really is a great option. However, any dSLR will get greater results in low light. Check this thread to see the impressive difference, there are pictures taken with the Pentax DS (I think it was the Pentax or a Canon) and other taken with Panasonic Lumix and the Powershot S2, there you can get a clear idea of what a P&S is capable of and what a dSLR can do; it's just a matter of noise, that's all; most of us can deal with it, so it's OK.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=87&page=1

Now, what you said about expensive cameras becoming obsolete, I don't completely agree. A 6.1MP camera can get big prints, and I don't expect 40 megapixel cameras in the future or such things, I rather believe that future improvements will be more directed to noise reduction, shutter lag, focusing and other similar stuff.

Today, a used 3MP dSLR can still cost over 400USD, while a used 3MP P&S can hardly be sold at a decent price.

Regards
schmiedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 7:43 PM   #18
Super Moderator

videosilva wrote:
Quote:
Ok for a Canon S2 IS here in Canada Walmart $649.99 Future Shop $699.99 Best Buy $699.99. Best Buy has the S2 on sale at $669.99. Future Shop was clearing out the Pentaz for $699.99. This was the display model, the lens was beat up and I managed to talk the guy into giveing me a new one ( stock lens).

Guys really the Pentax low light is not great. I was expecting to see WOW WOW WOWO WOW, when I took pictures with the Pentax that was REALLY NOT the case at all.

If there is a difference with the S2 and the Pentax picture quaility it is VERY minimul. I have said it before I was very impressed with the S2 for low out door lighting. To take a picture in a forest with no lighting except a bonfire and the the picture come out decent was quite impressive.

The Pentax would have to produce a FANTASTIC picture for me to be willing to loose all the features of the S2.
videosilva.......... i am glad you are happy, really... i am.... and i think YOU made the right decision..

but....... c'mon man, don't try to argue against things that are proven facts to justify to yourself your purchase..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 8:06 PM   #19

Here is a sample from a Pentax *istDS, stage lighting, ISO1600, Ricoh 135mm f2.8 manual lens. F2.8 1/125 sec. Shot from 10 rows back in a 400 seat theatre. Yhis photo is unaltered except for cropping and resizing (this is only a small segment of the image).

The Canon S2 IS is a great camera, but lets not continue this, videosilva, you made your choice now get over it. Those of us who have spent time with DSLRs and digicams will agree that 90% of the time the digicam will give perfectly acceptable images, but for the other 10% more is necessary. Enjoy your camera but please accept your choice and stop trying to convince the rest of us. I don't own a DSLR either but I don't spend all of my time trying to convince DSLR owners that they are wrong.
Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2005, 9:44 PM   #20

Pentax istDS & Canon S2 IS Night Shot.

Here you can see a night picture with a Pentax istDS & Canon S2 IS.

http://cgi.videosilva.com/cgi-bin/ik...ct=ST;f=31;t=2

http://cgi.videosilva.com/cgi-bin/ik...ct=ST;f=30;t=7