Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 28, 2005, 1:07 AM   #1

My 7yr old loves to take pictures and does a good job with our point and shoot film camera. She wants a digital camera. Looking for an all around digicam that would be easy for her to use that isn't too expensive ($200-300) but takes good photos. She really likes to take outdoors nature photos but has a hard time getting close up with our camera so a little zoom would be nice if its easy to use.

Any suggestions for little hands?
host is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2005, 1:25 AM   #2

I think for 7yrs old kid, don't need very high end.
You can look at below camera, the price around $200 or less:
- Panasonic LZ1
- Olympus FE110
- Canon SD200

for LZ1 slightly bigger, but hv Image Stabilizer.
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 7:03 AM   #3

Also look at the shutter lag and time between shots. If it has a long shutter lag (time from when she pushes the button to when it actually takes the picture), she'll have to hold it still longer, which will be frustrating. You can determine this by using it or by going to the reviews on this site and going to the page that says "specifications" and scrolling down till you find "shutter lag" and "shot to shot" times.

I let my dd use our old (very very junky) digital camera and she just LOVED it. I'm now thinking I might get a dSLR for myself instead of a point & shoot (going to start a new thread about that), but was thinking about keeping my eyes peeled for an appropriate p&s for her. I'm thinking getting the best of last year's models at clearance price might be better than getting a lower end of this year's. The 3 mp Olympus uz from last year or year before is a really nice camera, takes really nice pictures (have several friends who use it) and can be picked up really really cheap. I think my SIL just got hers for $150!

I was searching about another camera (Canon G6) and came across a thread where this man had a link with incredible pictures he had taken with an Olympus 2040, 2mp that was a number of years old. I'll try to link to it below. Pretty inspiring stuff! Ok, it didn't work, so I'll paste it here.Sorry if it's not clickable. http://www.flickr.com/photos/klp/show/
MyOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 9:18 AM   #4

Take a look at Steve's reviews of weather resistant & underwater cameras: http://www.steves-digicams.com/cameras_wr.html
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 9:52 AM   #5

The Panasonic LZ1 would be a nice choice as it has better zoom and is small, but since your 7 year old is such an enthusiast may I suggest getting an older camera, the Panasonic FZ-1 ? It is only 2 Megapixel but takes FANTASTIC pictures, has great zoom, image stabilizer, auto or manual controls, etc. It is a larger camera but my young nieces and nephews handle it quite well. They can be found on e-bay etc. for around $160. If you go to the Panasonic forum here and do a search on FZ1 you will get a lot of info and also image samples. Trust me, you will not be disappointed!

Charlie
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2005, 5:59 PM   #6

Thank you for the replies. I will put the info to good use. I never thought of the weatherproof idea but that is a great thing to consider. The Panasonic with the large zoom and image stabilizer is an interesting option. I was thinking that model was pretty big (but I haven't actually looked one before) and I was concerned it might not fit well in her small hands. I will have to take her to a shop and see how big it really is.

Thanks!
host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2005, 8:22 PM   #7

The FZ-1 is larger than the others I'm sure! But you know, my little niece handled it ok at age 8 or 9 (but she is 'little' for her age.) They're not all that heavy (not like the older non-digital cameras) and the pictures she took at Christmas time last year were pretty good and not blurred (IS helped??) Plus you can buy it for her and then borrow it for infrared photography once in a while. It is exceptional for that ! Check some of the pictures out at the Panasonic forum. You will be AMAZED !!

Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote