Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 28, 2005, 7:54 AM   #1

I'm looking for a digicam that can trigger external slaves properly.

The problem I'm encountering is that more and more digicam manufacturers are moving towards using preflash metering to determine exposure. Preflash causes my slave strobes to trigger too soon.

I know there are digital slave flashes that accommodate a preflash but these would still require me to incorporate direct frontal lighting into the photo– which I don't consider flattering.

Currently, I use a Fuji Finepix s3000 to trigger my umbrella strobe by taping a small 1 inch card in front of the camera's onboard flash. It reflects the burst up/away to trigger my main light then acts as a little bit of fill on the subject. Unfortunately, the camera only has Aperture priority mode and I really need full manual control. More onboard flash options would be great, too (like reducing flash output since I only use it as a trigger). Plus, it is only a 3 megapixel camera.

Any manual camera suggestions that allow for the preflash metering to be disabled. Or better yet, cameras that simply use "one" flash burst to begin with. That way I can simply tape a small white card in front to bounce the flash to trigger the real strobe lighting.
  • Manual exposure settings (Aperture/Shutter/ISO)[/*]
  • 5 Megapixels+
    [/*]
  • No preflash or some other way to trigger studio lighting[/*]
  • I generally don't like extremely subcompact cameras or DSLRs that are too big (Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ2 or Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-W5 are examples of the size/type of camera body I generally like)[/*]
  • < $500 price range[/*]
Any camera suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
mrp804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2005, 10:57 AM   #2

Maybe I'm failing to understand your post, but it sounds like you want a standard external hot-shoe flash instead of a slave flash. Isn't your jerry-rigged deflector just a way of simulationg a hot shoe? Or am I missing your intention here?
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 11:51 AM   #3

I think you understand.

I'm looking camera that will trigger other flashes in my setup. If that means getting one with a hot-shoe and connecting a small manual flash that I can point up or diffuse (as a trigger), or connecting some type of wireless trigger to it, then I guess that is the route I should take. As long as it doesn't fire any sort of preflash.

So, it could be a digital camera with a hot-shoe. I just don't want a big bulky (and expensive) DSLR.

I dont mind if it's a smaller SLR-like body like my Fuji s3000, but I need more pixels, and manual exposure.
mrp804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 12:13 PM   #4

Each of these has a hot shoe and appears to meet your requirements: Olympus C-7070; Sony DSC-V3; and Canon G6. FWIW

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote