Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   What Camera Should I Buy? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/)
-   -   Fuji E550 vs HP R717 vs HP 945 (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy/70436-fuji-e550-vs-hp-r717-vs-hp-945-a.html)

yannakm Oct 28, 2005 10:51 AM

I am looking for a digital camera. I could buy one from the company I work directly from the distributor and will save the taxes and have the camera at cost price. Don't suggest me any other camera because I would probably have to buy it in a store and pay full price plus taxes.
Here are the one I am checking right now, the left price is the one I am getting from my shop and the right one was found in a store near me including taxes.
Fujifilm Finepix E550 for about $313 CAD sold at The Source for $425.58 CAD
HP Photosmart R717 for about $293 CAD sold at Stapples for $402.58 CAD
HP Photosmart 945 for about $310 CAD can't find it sold anywhere.

Here are my concerns:
1) The HP 945 doesn't have very good reviews but it has a 6X zoom lens.
2) The memory card needed for HP are less expensive than for fuji
3) The E550 offer a 4X zoom vs 3X for the R717
4) Per photographyblog.com the R717 has beter review than the E550(4.5 stars vs 4 stars)
5) The E550 has a raw file save option. I was not able to find this info, but is it directly compatible with Photoshop CS2 with camera raw 3.2? If not I would probably use it with S7raw.

I just got photoshop and I am planning signing up on Lynda.com for online video training.

Tell me what you think.

Thanks

yannakm Oct 28, 2005 10:09 PM

Also I forgot to mention the biggest downside I found on the E550 the chromatic aberrations.:( Is this issue can be fixed by using raw mode and tweaking the picture, or I should forget about this camera and take the R717?

yannakm Oct 30, 2005 10:01 PM

2 days and still no replies.
The only thing I have to say is this forum sucks.:(
Just see the stupid spam post "Genuine FREE to grab a partner of DC(PS2 or Xbox or PSP )!" got already 4 replies.
Are you guys only interested in complained or bitching each other?
Go ahead now and have fun bitching on me:roll: while I am finding an good forum.

swgod98 Oct 30, 2005 11:55 PM

I didn't respond because I know nothing of the HP's. I only know the E550, so I can't compare. I have a feeling there are few who know the HP's...I'm sure people would have posted otherwise.

Sorry it seems everyone's neglected you :\

I think the E550 is an awesome camera! Only issue I have with it is that it lacks an AF assist lamp and has some so-so low light performance.

I did, however take it to a party Friday. Out of 10 pictures, I think 7 of them failed to lock focus. The good news is that every single one of them was sharp and a knife! :) I think it had to do with the fact that I didn't zoom in at all.

Anyways, I can help on the E550 questions, but not on the HP's.

Have a good Halloween! :)

rinniethehun Oct 31, 2005 3:37 AM

"Don't suggest me any other camera because I would probably have to buy it in a store and pay full price plus taxes."

That's what I think...now you have just as many replies as the spammer - Loser!

the Hun

Carrots Oct 31, 2005 5:08 AM

A salesman tried to sell me a HP printer by printing a photo from a HP camera on it (probably the 945, had a largish lens). It looked horrible. I dont like HP. I dont like their optical drives. I dont like their printers. I dont like their slower-than-they-should-be computers. And I probably wont like their cameras.

Go with the Fuji

Oh, and some ppl use the internet at work, and dont bother going to work ons saturdays.l

yannakm Oct 31, 2005 7:12 AM

I think this forum is ok now that I see I got only one hate relpy out of three.
Too bad I had to bullsh*t to get replies:cry: sorry.
I thought that this site was one of the most crowded digital photografy web site:|so I would get an answer fast. I guess I was wrong.
I will still try to find my answer, because that R717 look very good and is cheaper than the E550.