Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 28, 2005, 11:51 AM   #1

I am looking for a digital camera. I could buy one from the company I work directly from the distributor and will save the taxes and have the camera at cost price. Don't suggest me any other camera because I would probably have to buy it in a store and pay full price plus taxes.
Here are the one I am checking right now, the left price is the one I am getting from my shop and the right one was found in a store near me including taxes.
Fujifilm Finepix E550 for about $313 CAD sold at The Source for $425.58 CAD
HP Photosmart R717 for about $293 CAD sold at Stapples for $402.58 CAD
HP Photosmart 945 for about $310 CAD can't find it sold anywhere.

Here are my concerns:
1) The HP 945 doesn't have very good reviews but it has a 6X zoom lens.
2) The memory card needed for HP are less expensive than for fuji
3) The E550 offer a 4X zoom vs 3X for the R717
4) Per photographyblog.com the R717 has beter review than the E550(4.5 stars vs 4 stars)
5) The E550 has a raw file save option. I was not able to find this info, but is it directly compatible with Photoshop CS2 with camera raw 3.2? If not I would probably use it with S7raw.

I just got photoshop and I am planning signing up on Lynda.com for online video training.

Tell me what you think.

Thanks

yannakm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2005, 11:09 PM   #2

Also I forgot to mention the biggest downside I found on the E550 the chromatic aberrations. Is this issue can be fixed by using raw mode and tweaking the picture, or I should forget about this camera and take the R717?
Old Oct 30, 2005, 11:01 PM   #3

2 days and still no replies.
The only thing I have to say is this forum sucks.
Just see the stupid spam post "Genuine FREE to grab a partner of DC(PS2 or Xbox or PSP )!" got already 4 replies.
Are you guys only interested in complained or bitching each other?
Go ahead now and have fun bitching on me:roll: while I am finding an good forum.

Old Oct 31, 2005, 12:55 AM   #4

I didn't respond because I know nothing of the HP's. I only know the E550, so I can't compare. I have a feeling there are few who know the HP's...I'm sure people would have posted otherwise.

Sorry it seems everyone's neglected you :\

I think the E550 is an awesome camera! Only issue I have with it is that it lacks an AF assist lamp and has some so-so low light performance.

I did, however take it to a party Friday. Out of 10 pictures, I think 7 of them failed to lock focus. The good news is that every single one of them was sharp and a knife! I think it had to do with the fact that I didn't zoom in at all.

Anyways, I can help on the E550 questions, but not on the HP's.

Have a good Halloween!
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 4:37 AM   #5

"Don't suggest me any other camera because I would probably have to buy it in a store and pay full price plus taxes."

That's what I think...now you have just as many replies as the spammer - Loser!

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 6:08 AM   #6

A salesman tried to sell me a HP printer by printing a photo from a HP camera on it (probably the 945, had a largish lens). It looked horrible. I dont like HP. I dont like their optical drives. I dont like their printers. I dont like their slower-than-they-should-be computers. And I probably wont like their cameras.

Go with the Fuji

Oh, and some ppl use the internet at work, and dont bother going to work ons saturdays.l

Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 8:12 AM   #7

I think this forum is ok now that I see I got only one hate relpy out of three.
Too bad I had to bullsh*t to get replies sorry.
I thought that this site was one of the most crowded digital photografy web site:|so I would get an answer fast. I guess I was wrong.
I will still try to find my answer, because that R717 look very good and is cheaper than the E550.