Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 30, 2005, 4:40 PM   #1

My wife uses a Fuji S5000 to shoot pictures of birds and other critters that show up around our house. I've noticed that she misses some pictures because of the lag between the time she pushes the button and the time the camera actually takes the photo.She does use the camera for other things and, overall, she's happy with the results she gets. However, I'm considering trying to get her something with less shutter lag. Can anyone recommend something we might be happy with in that price range. Thanks.
gpaulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2005, 7:22 PM   #2

If you like the Fuji color and picture quality of the S5000, you might want to consider the S5100 and/or the new S5200. Depending on how your wife uses the shutter release, eg., half-press to pre-focus, the S5100 is a bit faster in the lag department (0.1 vs. 0.3 seconds). If she just pushes the shutter release without pre-focusing, both cameras are essentially the same at 0.7 seconds. The new Fuji S5200 claims a shutter lag of only 0.01 seconds, but I haven't seen any profesional reviews yet that confirm this. If it's close to true, it is an extremely fast camera. It also has a lot of other improvements over your existing camera, such as 5 MP, ISO 1600, non-extending lens, etc.

I don't know what price range you are referring to...I don't know what you paid for it, and since it's a discontinued model, there aren't any current prices available. I own the S5100, and am pleased with it. However, I am interested in the S5200, due to the faster speed and higher ISO capabilities.

Good luck.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 5:29 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I think we paid somewhere around $350.00 a couple of years ago for the S5000. I'm thinking that I'd like to stay under $400.00.
gpaulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 5:54 PM   #4

You should be able to buy the S5200 for less than what you paid for your S5000. Check out Steve's Buying Guide for the latest prices from online stores.

http://www50.shopping.com/xPC-Fuji_FinePix_S5200

Good luck.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote