Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 2, 2005, 5:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Low noise should be important, but I´m realizing that some Photoshop can solve it somehow, it´s just a question of learning how to deal with it
My noise comment was in response to that statement, and also more for the "normal ISO" cams.

I did not realise that you were only comparing the S5200 and the FZ5 in your IS statement. I know nothing about the S5200, except for its excelent ISO capability.

Theoretically, the higher ISO should get you comparable results to the IS?

FZ 5 with IS shoots say at 1/60 at 400mm focal length. (ISO 100)
The S5200 would then shoot at 1/240 or even 1/480 depending on the ISO (400 / 800), thus bypassing the need for real IS.

This is with the assuption that shooting at those ISO's the noise is comparable to the iso100 of the FZ.

Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 8:12 AM   #12

Carrots wrote:
Quote:
FZ 5 with IS shoots say at 1/60 at 400mm focal length. (ISO 100)
The S5200 would then shoot at 1/240 or even 1/480 depending on the ISO (400 / 800), thus bypassing the need for real IS.

This is with the assuption that shooting at those ISO's the noise is comparable to the iso100 of the FZ.
There is another assumption here -- that both cameras have comparable lens brightness at long zoom. They don't. The FZ-20 is the best of the lot, with f2.8 max across the zoom range. FZ-5 is second best, with a max zoom of 3.2(?) at long zooms. The Fuji is quite mediocre at this if memory serves, but I don't have the actual max at long zoom in front of me. And remember the max zoom is 10x, not 12x, so the lens is actually darker than just the max f would suggest.

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 9:31 AM   #13
mfm

Oi..

Tudo bem? Como es Brasileiro, vou escrever em portugues,ok?!

Eu também ando indeciso acerca da camara digital que devo comprar, contudo as minhas escolhas resumem-se a Fuji S5200/5600 e * Panasonic Lumix FZ5. De parte deixei a Canon, porque me parece ter pior qualidade de imagem, e estará mais limitada em termos de controlos manuais.

Faz 2 meses que procuro informações acerca das 2 (S5200/5600 e FZ5), mas ainda não me decidi. A verdade é que ambas as máquinas são muito boas. A minha duvida está agora na qualidade da imagem. A FZ5 parece ter melhor qualidade de imagem, com uma imagem mais n*tida e cores mais vivas, contudo, apresenta maior ruido, mesmo usando ISO 100. Já as imagens tiradas com a Fuji parecem maisbaças, ficando as cores menos vivas.

Tal como tu, também eu não sei qual escolher..

Cumprimentos

Manel , Portugal
mfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 9:40 AM   #14

Doh, I knew it was too simple!

And to our Portugese friend, pardon?
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 12:27 PM   #15
mfm

Carrots

I've just said that like diego i am also confused about 2 digital cameras:Fuji S5200/5600 and Panasonic FZ5. Once he's from Brasil, i wrote in portuguese, because it was easier.

Well, like i said i'm confused. However, I've already read lots of reviews and opinions about both cameras, but still undecided.

Both Fuji and Panasonic are great cameras and very similar, so i'm trying to see which one has better image quality. If u can help me, i'd be grateful.

Tks and sorry for the portuguese.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 1:34 PM   #16

mfm wrote:
Quote:
Oi..

Tudo bem? Como es Brasileiro, vou escrever em portugues,ok?!

Eu também ando indeciso acerca da camara digital que devo comprar, contudo as minhas escolhas resumem-se a Fuji S5200/5600 e * Panasonic Lumix FZ5. De parte deixei a Canon, porque me parece ter pior qualidade de imagem, e estará mais limitada em termos de controlos manuais.

Faz 2 meses que procuro informações acerca das 2 (S5200/5600 e FZ5), mas ainda não me decidi. A verdade é que ambas as máquinas são muito boas. A minha duvida está agora na qualidade da imagem. A FZ5 parece ter melhor qualidade de imagem, com uma imagem mais n*tida e cores mais vivas, contudo, apresenta maior ruido, mesmo usando ISO 100. Já as imagens tiradas com a Fuji parecem maisbaças, ficando as cores menos vivas.

Tal como tu, também eu não sei qual escolher..

Cumprimentos

Manel , Portugal
Puxa, que bom que posso escrever em português com alguém! Mas infelizmente nesse local as informações precisam ser compartilhadas por todos os interessados, então escrevamos em inglês mesmo!

As I can see, the biggest problem is the different experiences that every one had. I don´t think that somebody has all those cameras (S2, FZ-5/20, S5200, H1) and tested them.

It´s too hard, but let´s keep walking...

Thanks and improve the discussion!
diegofarias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 2:28 PM   #17

You will hardly find someone who has all these cameras. I took the Canon S2 as I saw some advantages over the Panasonic models (clearly better than the FZ-5, and averages with the FZ20 which is more expensive and has not such good video). That was my reason for taking the S2 over the FZ20, the 2.7 aperture against 3.5 at full zoom doesn't bother me too much.

Finally everything is a matter of opinions, taste, etc. If you're a Fuji fan, you'll take the Fuji, and you will live without IS in exchange with the high ISO settings, the same if you're a Canon fan you'll live with the lower ISO settings and compensate it with IS (unless you use a tripod, there the Fuji will not need IS and the IS in the Canon will be useless).

In my case, I use a lot of SD cards, so a camera that works with something that isn't CF or SD is out of question for me (there's a CF to SD adapter). Why? I can show pictures with my PocketPC or a Palm, and I have other devices that use SD which I don't necessary use at the same time as the camera, so I just need one set of SD cards. If I had to pay extra for xD cards, I would preffer to invest that money for a dSLR that uses CF cards and buy the 30USD adapter.

The best possible way you could decide is considering what pictures you will take. If most of your pictures will be taken with low light conditions where the use of a flash is not adequate, go for Fuji. If you will use a lot of big zooming and don't think carrying a tripod all the time is a good practice, go for Canon or Panasonic.

Now, between Canon and Panasonic, check if you preffer to have good video (Canon) or a high aperture at full zoom (Panasonic FZ20).

If the Canon or Panasonic FZ20 are too expensive, decide between the Fuji 5200 (good ISO) and the FZ5 (IS).

If you want everything and just can't make any sacrifices, but don't want to spend too much, consider the Konika-Minolta 5D (dSLR), it will cost you less than buying two P&S cameras, has IS integrated in the body and extra lenses are not really expensive.

Regards

schmiedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 5:44 PM   #18
mfm

Hi schmiedel.

Thanks for the reply.

Once I don'tcare about video features,and due to the high price, i've put Canon apart form my choices. That's why i'm undecidedbetween Fuji and panasonic.

Panasonic uses SD cards, but has a Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery, Fuji uses AA batterys but XD-card. Both have vantages and advantages.

My last digital camera was an HP 850. after 3.5 years of use she had a small problem. It was a great camera with 4MP,ZOOM 8x,2.8 aperture , 2.0 LCD with 180K pixels, SD slot and AA batterys. I have 3 SD cards of 16Mb, 1 of 64Mb and 1 of 256 Mb.Otherwise i also have lots of rechargeable AA batterys (about 20).

Now, about the use of the camera.. Most of the pictures will be taken outdoor. I like to travel a lot, and make big rides (walking and in my 4x4) by the mountains where I take lots of pictures. There, the use of the zoom is a must.I should say that to prevent lost of image quality i rarely push the zoom to the limit.

And, once i liveside by side withan estuary andthe sea, I also take lots of photos to animals, traditionalboats, photos during the sunset, and more....

That's why I'm undecided.

Old Nov 2, 2005, 6:04 PM   #19

Hi,

From what you're saying, the Canon could really be a good choice for you. SD cards, AA batteries, IS and a long zoom. I'm really happy with it and I paid less than 500USD for it, it's a matter of searching for it. I live in Mexico, digicams are often quite expensive here. If you buy the Panasonic FZ20, it will cost about the same as the Canon. I added a picture of my 4x4 taken a few weeks ago. I see you use the camera mainly for the same reasons as I do. You should really decide between Canon and Panasonic rather than between Fuji and Panasonic.

Regards

Attached Images

schmiedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 6:27 PM   #20
mfm

Maybe i buy Panasonic FZ5 instead of Fuji S5200/5600.

It's much more cheaper than FZ20 or Canon (FZ5 - 380€ (460 US $) against Canon and FZ20 - 500€ (600 US$))

Doyou think noise can became a problem? I don't pretend to make big prints.. maybe A4 sometimes.. ( I know that for ISO 200 and ISO 400 he's more visible)

Thanks for everything

Photo: My 4x4.
Attached Images