Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 30, 2005, 5:18 PM   #1

Hi I have always wanted to take up photography as a hobby and finally7months ago I bought my first camera a Nikon Coolpix 7900. Since then Ive got hooked. I would like to buy myself a Digital SLR now and take tis hobby so a higher lever. I am a sailor by profession and get to see manyplaces all over the world. Most ofthe photos I takeare landscapes, yachts, sunsets, people and wild life and I do also like to take any sport photos.

I was thinking of buying the Nikon D100.

I'd like to know if I am making the right choice and also what lenses would be ideal for the type of photography mentioned above.

Any reply would be highly appreciated

Thanks

AdrianGusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2005, 5:23 PM   #2
Super Moderator

the d100 is rather slow compared to the newer models.. if you want to stick with nikon you would be better off with the d70s or the d50...
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 6:01 PM   #3

Thanks for yor reply,

What otherbrands/models would you suggest besides Nikon.

I will look into the d50 and d70
AdrianGusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 6:52 PM   #4
Super Moderator

other good options are the 20d and 350d/rebel xt from canon.. both are 8mp sensors and offer similar image quality.. the 20d is a magnesium construction and has a faster frame rate, a higher top ISO rating, and more autofocus points..

konica-minolta offers the 5d and the 7d which offer image stabilization built into the body.. they both use the same sony 6.1mp sensor as the nikons..
Old Oct 30, 2005, 9:13 PM   #5

I just bought the Nikon D50 and am very, very happy with it. I spent all day today working through the manual, taking shots very methodically to see how every feature works. It's just wonderful to use! The camera is laid out very logically, with each thing you want to access easily accessed with a button and then rotating the command dial.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The girl at the store said the D50 is newer than the D70 and better. She said the Nikon D50 is shooting as good or slightly better than the Canon 20D which her manager uses. (ie. they bring in pictures and compare) The complaint that manager has about the Canon is the way the features are accessed, buttons, menus, etc. I'm not sure if that's an issue once you get used to it, but I find the Nikon to be very intuitive and easy to use, logical. I feel like every feature is at my fingertips and I don't have to hunt.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"As far as lenses, the kit is 18-55 mm, and that's not going to get you much zoom like you'll want. I bought a 70-300 mm but I might return it in favor of something that goes wider and up to 300. That way I can leave that one on all the time during our upcoming trip. I haven't done any research on that yet.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Can you get to a store that sells these to handle them and play with them for yourself? Since the picture quality is so close, you're more looking at how it feels to you and which you prefer, the subjective stuff. I really like my Nikon though.
MyOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 11:39 PM   #6
Super Moderator

well, simply put the d50 is not really in the same class as the 20d.. the 20d really does have better image quality (more megapixels, less noise, etc), faster fps, better autofocus.. but then again, its also in a different class altogether.. while the d50 is an entry dslr, the 20d is a enthusiest, entry pro level..and their respective pricesreflect that.. so i think the saleperson may have been making a sale..

a better comparison would be to the rebel xt, the xt is a little better resolution-wise, but the rest is pretty level playing field..

if you are really going to get into the sports/action.. the 20d from canon really is in anther league than the rest.. but this may be the only realm in which you would find its autofocus and frame rates an advantage..

available low light situations, the minoltas have the advantage of image stabilization built in, so they work with all your lenses rather than having to buy specific image stabilized lenses..

in reality, they are all capable cameras.. there is not a single one of them that will not do everything you ask of it.. and your decision should be based on your needs and personal preferences in handling characteristics..

so bottom line- get to the local pro shop and give them all a test run.. take some shots, navigate through the menus, etc.. that should help you make your decision..

cheers

-----------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Old Nov 1, 2005, 9:46 AM   #7

Novice user here, sorry folks. This seems like the right place to post this question though.....

I'd like to add photography as a new hobby myself. I have a Fuji digital camera, low end of course, but now I want to get something that will open my eyes to the world of photography. I was on a trip about a year ago with a collegue and he has the Minolta A2 Dimage... I used it once and WOW.... the features blew me away....

I've been researching this camera on and off for sometime now. The price is tight on the budget, but I'm done being picky about it.

I've since found that Fuji has the new S9000. A few dollars more of course, but feature for feature, im not sure now which way to go.

I'm looking for a good opinion from some of the professionals or non professionals too on this site that can help me decide which way to go with my search...

So, Minolta A2 or Fuji S9000...

I know the Minolta has a few more features that will take some time to learn.

Any help would be great...

Lonny

xtombguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 5:36 PM   #8

D200.............:blah::|
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote