Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 30, 2005, 11:35 PM   #1

I'm new to digital cameras, and I'm unsure of what camera is right for me. I decided it would be best to ask you guys since it seems some of you have multiple ones, and have the expertise I'm lacking. I've done some looking around, but I'm not a serious photography guru at all, in fact I'm an amatuer. So I lack knowledge of what to look for in a camera. I need a camera that will get me started, and be able to let me grow with it for a while before I need to upgrade to get more advance features

Well first I should mention that my price limit is $500. I'm going to be taking pictures of just about anything and everything I can think of. Though I'm mostly going to be using it for family events (Indoor/Outside & Day/Night), some traveling, and a little bit of plant/wildlife/landscape.

Some features that I would like the camera to have are:

-A 'normal', 'vivid', and 'natural' color modes
-Be able to adjust settings like saturation/white balance/sharpness/etc. manually
-Excellent Color Reproduction
-Nice Sharp & Clear Images
-Red Eye Reduction
-Excellent indoor & outdoor capabilities (Since I want to have an all-around camera)
-Ability to Zoom More than 5x (Somewhere in the 10x or 12x range would be prefered. The ability to add attachments/lenses to zoom farther if I want to would be a nice feature, but not a must)
-Needs to have decent shooting speed/decent focus speed as I might take it to some family sporting events.

I don't know if there's a camera out there that meets my needs in the price range. I've noticed that some of my specifications are on DSLR's, which are a little out of my price range. Also, I don't want to fork out a $1000 on a camera since I'm not a semi-pro/professional photographer.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and Thank you in advance.
Corianth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2005, 1:16 AM   #2

Corianth wrote:
Quote:
I'm new to digital cameras, and I'm unsure of what camera is right for me. I decided it would be best to ask you guys since it seems some of you have multiple ones, and have the expertise I'm lacking. I've done some looking around, but I'm not a serious photography guru at all, in fact I'm an amatuer. So I lack knowledge of what to look for in a camera. I need a camera that will get me started, and be able to let me grow with it for a while before I need to upgrade to get more advance features

Well first I should mention that my price limit is $500. I'm going to be taking pictures of just about anything and everything I can think of. Though I'm mostly going to be using it for family events (Indoor/Outside & Day/Night), some traveling, and a little bit of plant/wildlife/landscape.

Some features that I would like the camera to have are:

-A 'normal', 'vivid', and 'natural' color modes
-Be able to adjust settings like saturation/white balance/sharpness/etc. manually
-Excellent Color Reproduction
-Nice Sharp & Clear Images
-Red Eye Reduction
-Excellent indoor & outdoor capabilities (Since I want to have an all-around camera)
-Ability to Zoom More than 5x (Somewhere in the 10x or 12x range would be prefered. The ability to add attachments/lenses to zoom farther if I want to would be a nice feature, but not a must)
-Needs to have decent shooting speed/decent focus speed as I might take it to some family sporting events.

I don't know if there's a camera out there that meets my needs in the price range. I've noticed that some of my specifications are on DSLR's, which are a little out of my price range. Also, I don't want to fork out a $1000 on a camera since I'm not a semi-pro/professional photographer.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and Thank you in advance.
Quote:
I'm not quite sure what you mean when you specify 'normal' and 'natural' color modes - to me, they're the same thing. Functions like adjusting sharpness, saturation and color balance are best left to post-processing software like Photoshop anyway.
Quote:
Just about any mid-level P&S camera these days have manual control options, so it really comes down to your personal preferences on how a particular camera looks, handles and functions. As long as you stay with traditional camera makers like Fuji, Canon, Olympus, etc., you should do fine.
Quote:
My own camera is a Fuji S5200 and it:
Quote:
1) takes very high-quality, sharp pictures
Quote:
2) has high ISO capability combined with low noise
Quote:
3) has a remarkable 10X zoom lens with little visible distortion at extreme wide or tele. Moderate maximum aperture.
Quote:
4) is very fast, almost no shutter lag
Quote:
5) has full manual control capability
Quote:
6) looks and handles like a small DSLR
Quote:
7) provides very natural color accuracy, not overly saturated except for bright red, which sometimes 'pops' a bit too much. Very good contrast.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 11:16 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. I though normal and natural were different. Some of the natural pics I've seen the color has been duller than with normal setting. Maybe I'm confusing it with something else.
Corianth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 11:38 AM   #4

Corianth wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I though normal and natural were different. Some of the natural pics I've seen the color has been duller than with normal setting. Maybe I'm confusing it with something else.

My camera, the FZ-20, has three levels of color saturation that can be set. The manual refers to them as "natural" (lowest), "standard" (the default), and "vivid" (most saturated). I don't think that there is any standard nomenclature for these things, and what one camera manufacturer means by "vivid" another might see as the default setting.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 12:42 PM   #5

Hi Corianth: Also look at the OlympusC-5500. It is a well designed and well built camera with a lot of manual adjustments for the advanced user, but with well thought out automatic features for the beginner. And there is plenty of manual adjustments for contrast, color phase, etc; but it also offers about a dozen creative scene modes for quick and easily adjustments by beginners. It offers a largeamount of features for its' very economical price. It is a nice compact size with good handling, 5MP, 5x optical zoom, with both LCD and a viewfinder. And it uses 4 AA batteries. It's owners are very high on the camera. The dealers have been rising the price on this camera due to word of mouth praise from the previous buyers, but it can still be found for under $300. BuyDig is still showing it at $249.

Camedia C-5500 Sport Zoom offers an excellent "bang for the buck"...." (as quoted in Steve's Review)

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/c5500.html

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote