Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 3, 2005, 7:25 PM   #1

Hey everybody, new user here. I'm looking for a camera in the $250 - $300 range, and right now I'm looking at the A95 and the SD450. I'd just like a camera to take pictures with (friends, family, events.. etc.) Nothing special, and I may dabble in photography. I understand that I could just get an a70 or something, but I'd like a higher quality camera that will last me for a long time. If you have any reccomendations, I'd be glad to hear them - but I'm really a Canon fanboy, so if it's another brand keep in mind you're probably wasting your time.

Regards,
McGee
McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2005, 8:43 PM   #2

Also, just looked at the A620 - it looks amazing. 7.4 megapixel, video, etc. This looks pretty good IMO. Add this to the list
Old Nov 3, 2005, 9:27 PM   #3

I have the S410 and my girlfriend has the A60 (close enough to your concern). They are two different cameras in my mind as one you can carry one just about anywhere and the other you can fiddle with a lot more in taking photos. I'm anxious to upgrade to the SD300...series which is even smaller and has a larger LCD-I've not fiddled with settings and I really have no interest in doing so. Convienience is my motivating factor. You may feel otherwise. I think the question is, are you a photographer or do you want to take photos?

If the former, how much so? Might a D SLR eventually be in your future?

If the latter, having a camera handy in "your pocket" would seem a better choice.

Do you REALLY want to print out photos larger than 5x7 and maybe a rare 8x10? A 3.2 MB camera will do that and a 4MB will certainly do it. Buying a 7 MB camera is like buying a 2000 watt stereo system and living in a "quiet" retirement community (IMHO).

You say SD450. Why not an SD400 or even SD300? Just how much is a 2.5" LCD worth over a 2" LCD? $10 more-sure thing, $100 more, probably not unless you have a vision impairment. What premium are you prepared to pay (and why?).

That is a selfish question as I'm also deciding between the SD400 and SD450. Good luck.

mrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 1:12 AM   #4

Price doesn't really matter, but I don't want to go real high up. I'd just like a very nice digital camera to take pictures with - portability is a must, but most cameras are easily portable. I don't plan on purchasing lenses or anything unless I get in to photography, and so far I've pretty much decided to get an A620 since for some reason the prices of the A95 have skyrocketed.
Old Nov 5, 2005, 10:18 PM   #5

I believe prices for the A95 skyrocketed because it is a better camera and it is not made anymore. More demand and less supply for a better product means price hikes and gouging.:roll:
pineywoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 6:02 PM   #6

I got the A80 2 years ago, and my friend got the S230 (wich is an S but with CF).

He has the advantage when comes the size. He can borrow it in almostany pocket (even in a Jean's). And the full metal body is hard enough to protect from a fall. He can take pictures faster than me because of the size (yes, he just take it out off the pocket and shoot)

The A80 (as the A serie) is more convenient to take special pictures in special contextes, without having to go into menu. Juste select the mode, change some settings rapidly, and shoot. The half-metal body is hard enough to drop it on asphalt (my gf did...:P)

And don't forget that when you try a numeric camera, you just can't stop! I was a beginner, now I love to take photos!!!:|

Go for the A620, You won't regret IT!!!

jaqm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 10:00 AM   #7

I vote for A610, because A610 and A620 is almost the same spec. except for the 2MP extra pixel on the same sized sensor and a different finish.

The extra 2MP is very memory consuming while giving nothing much in photo details indeed. Also A610 just fits your budget. I got one last week replacing my A80 coz' A610/A620 both have powerful video modes with great photo quality. One very important point people often missed out beforepaying and grabbing a camera in real use is the battery life. Slim / Card-sized camera is great, but only if you have a few extra battery ready in your bag. With one recharge on a pack of GP 2300mAh AA battery my A610 runs for 4G of wildly shooted movie and photos in the past one week yet I am still guessing when it will need a second recharge... :-)

Rudolf.
orion999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 9:18 PM   #8

Hey guys, thanks for replying! I was looking at reviews, and decided upon the SD series. The SD30 looks really cool (literally), but the specs aren't too great. I can't decide whether or not to get an SD500 or an SD450... opinions?