Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 4, 2005, 8:19 PM   #1

I take pictures, not photographs.

My current camera has a 1.5" LCD which now looks pretty tiny. 2" looks great, but a few months down the road, would I appreciate a 2.5" LCD even more? If you had to do it over again, what size LCD would you go for? (Money is not so much the issue, what size LCD would you MUCH prefer to have)

I now have a 4MB camera which has served me quite well for the few prints that I've made (mostly 5x7 and a very rare 8x10) . What MINIMUM size, in MB, would you recommend? Could I use 3MB, stick with 4MB or should I go for more?

Thanks in advance for any insights.
mrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2005, 8:59 PM   #2

mrag,

Very interesting questions.

I hardly ever spend any time looking at the LCD screen except to reformat my card.

I must admit, I'm getting older and my eyesight isn't so good so I can barely read the print on the Canon 20D LCD.

As for megapixels, I have a different theory on that. It really comes down to the quality of the sensor.

Most non-DSLR point and shoots have a good sensor, but not a greatsensors like those that can be found in a D-SLR.

So, if your staying in the point and shoot category of camera, obviously a 5mp sensor is buying you more real estate than a 4mp sensor.

But if you go out and buy a 6 or 8 mp DSLR, your going to be in another category of quality all together.

Given you have a 4mp camera, I'm not sure upgrading to a 5mp is going to blow you away. But if you upgraded to a 6mp or an 8mp DSLR, you will be blown away by the quality difference.

For instance, a REBEL XT at 8mp, with a nice CMOS sensor, is going to blow away anything you've seen coming off your 4mp point and shoot camera.

Just a few thoughts -- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 11:22 AM   #3

Terry...thanks for the feedback and insight. In reading over a few more posts and having 56+ year old eyes, I'm now leaning more towards a 2.5" LCD. I've heard that when you get older you see things differently, but not necessarily more clearly!

Really appreciate the MP info. I am really into convenience a la small pocket so the 4 or 5MP should work for me. I did though and just for the heck of it, download some of Steve's sample photos taken with the Rebel XT and compared them to some 4 & 5 MP samples. Wow, there is a crispness and sharpness that one wouldn't imagine. It almost made the 4 & 5's look "blurry" when compared side by side. I have a daughter with a 35 mm SLR who doesn't mind hauling. You may have cost me a bit of money, but saved Christmas ;-)

Thanks.
mrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 2:08 PM   #4

A triple post. Sorry
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 2:09 PM   #5

A triple post.............My fault, sorry.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 2:09 PM   #6

KODAK P850 and P880 are twoyou may like to look at. After having smaller, I love the 2.5 of the 850.