Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 6, 2005, 7:20 PM   #1

:?I have a Canon 4mp Powershot G2 and would like to move up to a so-called "ultrazoom" with 5 to 9 MP, roughly 10X zoom, and image stabilizer if possible.

In the past weeks, I have been reading camera magazines and reading the forums and reviews. So far I have narrowed my preferences down to five cameras: Panasonic FZ30, Fuji S9000, Kodak P880,Canon S2 IS, and Sony DC-H1.

My photography needs are varied, withemphasis on garden and nature, family gatherings and candid portraits, occasional air shows and auto races, scenicshots, pets, etc.I am not interested in video features. I would prefer a 28 mm wide angle, but would settle for 35 mm. I like telephoto, but could live with less than 300 or 400 mm if necessary.

I used to have a NikormatSLR withnormal 50mm, 35 mm wide angle, and Nikon 105mm zoom, butwould like to havewide to telezoom without the trouble of carrying and swapping multiple lenses.

Panasonic FZ30hasLeica lens, 8MP, 12X optical zoom, 35 mm wide-angle, IS, manual zoom and focus rings, etc., but many comment on itslow-light, noisyimages; Fuji S9000 has9MP, 10.7X zoom, 28 mm wide-angle,but lacks IS; initial Kodak P880 has 8MP, 5.8X, 24mm wide-angle, manual zoom ring, but also lacks IS.

Comparing the Canon S2 IS and Sony DSC-H1, both have5MP, 12X zoom, IS,and 36 mm wide angle lenses.Canon has minimum barrel extension on zoom and has less operational delays. Sony has the benefit oflarger sensor (1/2.5 inch) and 2.5 inch LCD.

I realize that trade-offs have to be made to make a selection and that I still have more work to do to reach my selection. But, your collective response may help me eliminate at least some of these 5 and move me closer to making my choice.

Thanks!

digzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2005, 9:17 PM   #2

Digzoom you have given a pretty good summary yourself already. Just one point to consider that you may have overlooked is how much of your existing gear can you use with the new camera eg memory cards, screw on filters or accessory lenses, battery type and charger, camera bag. None of these is a deal-breaker but might swing your decision towards one make. (eg I would probably get the Panasonic because I can use my 55mm filters and lenses and it has IS).

Just my 2c worth.

Bill
bilzmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 9:44 PM   #3

Maybe take a look at the Olympus C-8080 wide zoom.

This camera takes amazing photos, and starts at 28mm.

Check out the review of the C-8080 on Steve's site.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 10:00 PM   #4
Super Moderator

the s9000 starts at 28mm and goes to 300mm... plus from the examples i have seen has pretty good high ISO performance up to 800.. the resolution from the 9mp sensor looks really good as well.. the only tradeoff here is the lack of image stab.. but with a useable ISO 800 it may not be as big of deal..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 10:07 PM   #5

I agree with Hards80 on this one, The Fuji S9000 is a pretty impressive camera.

The Fuji's get really value priced if you wait a little while after introduction.

I've seen the model at buydig.com for $665, but I'm sure in 6 months or less it will hit the sub $600 mark.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 10:25 PM   #6

digzoom wrote:
Quote:
In the past weeks, I have been reading camera magazines and reading the forums and reviews. So far I have narrowed my preferences down to five cameras: Panasonic FZ30, Fuji S9000, Kodak P880,Canon S2 IS, and Sony DC-H1.
I'm curious that among all the ultra-zooms you mentioned, you include Kodak's P880 wide angle cam in there.:? Kodak's P850 falls in the ultrazoom catagory much better - right along side the Panny, Canon and Sony. The Fuji S9000doesseemnice though, but I'd like to see some reviews on Samsung's new Pro815 model that's due out soon (if not already.)
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote