Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 7, 2005, 1:51 PM   #1

Hallo, this is my first post and I ask for opinions and suggestions from the group for my next camera.

I have many conventional cameras ( a 2.8 Rolleiflex, a M1 Olympus, a smaller Olympus and others) that I use for usual family and landscape pictures. About six years ago I bought a Canon EOS 50 in bundle with a Canon lens EF 28-80 1:3,5-5,6 IV and a Sigma 70-300 1:4-5,6 Apo macro lens.

Now I would like to go digital and I see two possibilities:

- use the lens I have with a Canon D350 ( but I read that all the settings are via the LCD that sometimes is hard to read) or a Canon D20 ( is the lens quality comparable with the camera?) taking in count also the crop factor ( a D20 with a new lens is out of my scope)

- forget about the lenses and DSLR and buy something in the range of a Fuji F9500 or even the new F11.

What are your opinions? Do you have other suggestions?

I thank in advance all you.

Tetapunto

tetapunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2005, 3:09 PM   #2

lol.. what a weird nick.. tetapunto???.. haha... in spanish teta = tits, punto = point..

well.. let's go to the "punto" then..

The F10 got excellent reviews... a great low light camera, with good image quality... they said the F11 is the same as the F10 but with more manual controls.. and i guess, more megapixels for u to play... so i guess the F11 gonna b ur winner!

Cheers!
ekincheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 4:46 PM   #3

You could get a Canon D350 and re-use your lenses.

The lenses you have are somewhat low quality, and probably not up to the standard of a D350 much less a Canon 20D.

I personally don't recommend using lenses slower than F2.8 unless your using them until you can afford better lenses.

A Canon 8mp CMOS sensor deserves something better than an F3.5 lens.

Certainly the Fuji's will get you by.

However, if you think you have an ongoing interest, and want high quality shots, then get the Rebel 350, use the lenses you have, until you can upgrade to better lenses.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 2:22 AM   #4

Thank you for your answer,I agree with you. By the way, do you have suggestion nother that fuji s 9500 ?

tetapunto
Old Nov 9, 2005, 8:33 AM   #5

Personally I would recommend taking a look at the Olympus C-7070 or the C-8080.

I've seen the C-8080 for under $600.

I'ts an 8 meg camera with a 28-140 lens (F2.4).

The picture quality comes pretty darn close to a DSLR, yet has a pro build.

The lens itself is probably worth $350 so your picking up the rest of the camera for $250.

I thnk the two Olympus's are the best kept secret in the prosumer arsenal, unless you want to splurge on a DSLR.

Another cheap alternative is the Olympus Evolt 300 & 500 which are being sold for a song. Unfotunately Olympus lenses are high quality but very expensive.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 10:19 AM   #6
Super Moderator

i am with terry on all his suggestions...
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 10:20 AM   #7

What about the iso 1600 of the fuji s9500 and even f11? I have checked the olympus they go only up to iso 400.

tetapunto
Old Nov 9, 2005, 10:24 AM   #8
Super Moderator

the f11 is useable up to 1600.. but keep in mind this is a very small camera without a viewfinder, after using your previously mentioned kit, you may find this to be quite the deterrent.. definately use one first before buying..

the 9500 is quite noisy at 1600.. but is quite good through 400 and useable at 800.. which is quite a bit better than most other digicams which should be kept under iso 200... i am quite fond of the design of the 9500 as it has a mechanical zoom!! which means you twist it and it zooms rather than pushing a zoom buttom, much faster!

i would definately give those suggestions a trial run at your local pro store and make up your mind based on what you are most comfortable using..

--------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 5:50 PM   #9

With all the cameras out there, go try the best choice you feel you can make, find a dealer (I did this) who will allow you to return your purchase after a couple of weeks if you're not satisfied, then simply make your choice an experimental try out.

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote