Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 8, 2005, 7:24 AM   #1

I'm really looking for a $350-$500 camera with a 8x-12x zoom. I will be shooting sporting events as well as other general picture.

I currently have the Canon A510 and love it, but I wanted somthing that could do a better job at taking fast moving pictures, and having them turn out great when there isnt the best sunlight.

I know the canon S2 doesnt have a sports mode, and I am a learner on all the manual controls so If someone could help me with that, or in fact does tht canon have some sport high shutter priority hidden?

I've heard mixed things about the DMC-FZ5, including crappy startup time and slow shot to shot? Is it that bad?

And i really couldnt find that much info on the Fuji S5200. Does it have Image Stabilasition? Anyone actually own it?
caveman017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2005, 8:14 AM   #2
scb

As much as I think my Panasonic FZ20 is a great camera....it isn't good for fast moving action....as most cameras with EVFs. The new FZ30 is suppose to be better in this area, but I have a feeling that if you really want to catch fast sports action, a digital SLR is what you will want.

In any event....if fast sports action is your goal....don't buy any compact digital with an EVF unless you have personally tried it and know that it will do what you want.

I think in due time, we will be seeing more affordable stabilized lenses for DSLR cameras, and that will really sweeten the appeal of the DSLR.
scb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 8:29 AM   #3

Well like my current canon A510 can take wonderful sports pics at 1/1000 in a high sunlight situitation, but it sucks at high ISO speeds
Old Nov 8, 2005, 11:07 AM   #4

Canon S2 IS-$500 5MP/12x optical/Image Stabilization/VGA video at 30fps

Sony H1-$500 5MP/12x optical/Super Steady Shot Image Stabilization/VGA video at 30fps

Konica Minolta Z5 or Z6-$400 5 or 6MP/12x optical/Anti Shake/ QVGA or VGA video at 30fps

Panasonic FZ5-$430 5MP/12x optical/Optical Image Stabilizer/QVGA video at 30fps

For the most part, the S2, H1 and Z5/6 are equal with the build quality of the FZ5 being a huge flaw, but if I had to rate them, I'd say the S2, followed by the H1, then the Z5/6(Z5 if you want better video, Z6 if you want slightly higher resolution) and finally the FZ5. The best value is the Z5/6, but the S2 and H1 are built better and have slightly better optics.

Best of luck!
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 11:58 AM   #5

What mode would i use for sports on the S2 since there is no dedicated mode?
Old Nov 8, 2005, 1:26 PM   #6

Shutter priority (Tv)at either 200 or 400 ISO. You select the shutter speed, the camera selects the aperture.
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 1:34 PM   #7

caveman017 wrote:
Quote:
What mode would i use for sports on the S2 since there is no dedicated mode?
I use Av mode quite frequently, setting the aperture to F3.5. On sunny days, this is all you need to stop the action. On overcast days, you may need to up the ISO to 100 or 200.

I personally think the S2 is the best sports camera in this price range (with the FZ20 the possible exception). The S5200 is nice because it has ISO800 and ISO1600, but it has a shorter zoom range and it's burst mode is lacking in comparison.
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 1:47 PM   #8

I'm not sure if you want to go this route, but I picked up a Canon Digital Rebel (300d) at Circuit City for $560.00 with the very decent kit lens. This model is getting reduced everywhere due to the newish XT model being released. The kit lens won't provide much zoom initally but longer lenses are available and the pic quality of a DSLR is much better than your point and shoots.

soukups is offline   Reply With Quote