Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 11, 2005, 9:11 AM   #11

I actually uses single shot mode most of the time when I shoot cars...but I did try the continuous mode a few time. Like most it depends on the memory card after the buffer's full. In RAW it's like 3fps with buffer slow down after that. With Extreme III it's about 1 fps from camera to card(check this for different cards model on 5D/7D: http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/cfcard/index.asp). In Jpg you can pretty much just keep your finger on the shutter and with extreme III the pic-buffer-card speed is enough that you can just keep going for 10 shots or more.

No point using AS when you are panning under broad daylight. But I shoots a lot of random subject that may or maynot be well lit or during ideal time of the day. And AS has proved to be quite helpful. I've shot hand held at ISO400, with shutter at around 1/5-1/8s and the shot turns out to be more than usable with AS on.
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 9:51 AM   #12

pjackson wrote:
Quote:
Some nice shots with your KM 5D. I assume you can't use IS with continuous shooting mode? What is the continuous shooting mode like on the KM 5D? It specifies 3fps but for how long can this be maintained in reality? Has anyone any experience with continuous shooting capacities with the Canon 350D?
The Rebel XT shoots 3 JPGs per second for about 5 seconds, then slows to about 1.5 fps, depending on your CF card. The most important setting to consider when using continuous mode is your AF mode. AI servo is usually the mode of choice for shooting moving subjects such as race cars. Also, IS should be set to mode 2 as well for panning. IS really isn't affected by continuous shooting. You can still use it if you need it.

Chris M
www.imagineimagery.com
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 10:09 AM   #13

I seem to edging towards the KM 5D now! It seems to be just as fast as the Canon 350D (or thereabouts), with the bonus of the IS. from the reviews on the site, it seems there's also not much in it when it comes to image quality.Further questions for all you KM 5D owners are:

Can the camera be updated with firmware?

Can you use a wireless remote?

Thanks.

pjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 12:11 PM   #14

7D had a firmware update, I am assuming you can too with 5D....

There might be wireless accessories for it, I don't have one though.

pjackson wrote:
Quote:
I seem to edging towards the KM 5D now! It seems to be just as fast as the Canon 350D (or thereabouts), with the bonus of the IS. from the reviews on the site, it seems there's also not much in it when it comes to image quality.Further questions for all you KM 5D owners are:

Can the camera be updated with firmware?

Can you use a wireless remote?

Thanks.

RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 9:58 AM   #15

Think the KM 5D looks the best bet now as it's nealy £120 cheaper than the 350D.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 10:00 AM   #16

For info, KM (UK) results I requested for continuous shooting modes:

The framing rate of the Dynax 5D when set to continuous mode is 3 frames

per second. The recording will stop when the buffer memory becomes full.

The following figures are approximate.

Raw: 5 frames.

Raw+ JPEG: 3 frames.

Large: Extra Fine 3, Fine 10, Standard 24

Medium: Extra Fine 9, Fine 40, Standard 470

Small: Extra Fine 314, Fine 584, Standard 926.