Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 10, 2005, 9:03 AM   #1

I'm looking to get a DSLR before Christmas. All the reseach I've done makes me want to go for the Canon 350D. Are there any better cameras for the same money on the market or coming on to the market before Christmas? I considered the KM 5D, but don't have much use for the IS system, as most of my shots tend to be rapid action shots. Thanks.
pjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2005, 9:39 AM   #2

One of the first thing everyone is going to tell you is go to a store and hold them. One of them will feel just right in your hands.

They are all going to take great pictures....it really comes down to what you like when you're holding them. Do you have any kind of a camera setup already? if so, the lenses might work on Dslr. I finally decided on the Canon 20d.....it's due to arrive today (so excited!) so until I really WORK with the camera and start taking some shots with it, I wont' know for sure if it will work out or not, but am sure it's going to be just fine.

Only camera coming out right now is the Nikon D200 base price of $1600 (body only)....everyone keeps saying that Canon will come out with a new one in Feb. but only Canon knows for sure.

the 350d XT is a great system and you certainly can't go wrong with it. There really isn't anything that is in the same price bracket....they are either a bit less or a bit more:Less then:KM5d, Nikon D50, More then: Nikon D70s, andthe 350d XT is right in between them....then the price jumps up to the 20d price.....then WAY beyond you get into the pricer cameras.
dragonluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 9:52 AM   #3

Thanks for that. The reason I'm going for the 350D is the 8MP. I would go for the KM 5D except that it's only 6MP and I've got a Canon Ixus 500 which does 5MP, so not much less.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 10:08 AM   #4

pjackson wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for that. The reason I'm going for the 350D is the 8MP. I would go for the KM 5D except that it's only 6MP and I've got a Canon Ixus 500 which does 5MP, so not much less.
The 6mp in the Konica are far superior to a small digicam. Far less noise, and will resolve detail better. You also have better performance at high ISO.

Any of the entry level dSLRs will serve you well. I went from a Canon Powershot S70 to a Canon EOS 350D and am loving the difference in performance.
spjessop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 11:55 AM   #5

For action shots, nothing beats 1dMK2. 350D isvery nicein entry level dSLR but 3fps is kind of slow, IMHO. But then if you coming from p&s, it is day & nights difference.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 1:06 PM   #6

The poster said "for the same money". Of course the MkII is better, and costs 5 times as much...

And dragonluvr hit the nail on the head. They all take great pictures, you should just buy the one that feels best.

Also, with larger sensors, there isn't any advantage in image quality going from a 6 to 8 megapixel camera. The real advantage of the 8mp over the 6 is that you will be able to crop a little tighter and retain greater resolution. For example, I shoot surfers with mine, and I can crop about half of the image and still print at least as large as 11x17... Hope this helps.

Chris M
www.imagineimagery.com

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
For action shots, nothing beats 1dMK2. 350D isvery nicein entry level dSLR but 3fps is kind of slow, IMHO. But then if you coming from p&s, it is day & nights difference.
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 2:26 PM   #7

I was going by his main title, sorry for the confusion.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 2:38 PM   #8

If its action its worth looking 20D.

and i guess even D200(just got released-So no idea how it shoots Sports)

Both are in a different Class.

SVB
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 3:38 PM   #9

Action shots, race car with KM 5D: http://www.fsae.utoronto.ca/2002/gal...5shootout.html
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 5:27 AM   #10

RacingManiac wrote:
Quote:
Action shots, race car with KM 5D: http://www.fsae.utoronto.ca/2002/gal...5shootout.html
Some nice shots with your KM 5D. I assume you can't use IS with continuous shooting mode? What is the continuous shooting mode like on the KM 5D? It specifies 3fps but for how long can this be maintained in reality? Has anyone any experience with continuous shooting capacities with the Canon 350D?