Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 10, 2005, 10:31 AM   #1

Hi,

I have read posts on this forum for awhile and enjoy it! I am very much a novice but I love to take pics of my girls playing high school basketball. I have a Dimage Z1 and it takes so-so pics inside. I would really like to upgrade. I know I have alot to learn but I am leaning toward the rebel xt. Reading the posts it sounds like the Canon EF-S 17-85 is a good all-around lens foreveryday shots. Would the EF 50/1.8 be ok for indoor sports. I know nothing about lens, so this may be a dumb question. Please bear with me.

My other question is has anyone ordered cameras and lenses from ebay? there seem to be some good deals.

thanks a bunch!!

Darlene
darlenerenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2005, 4:37 PM   #2

I think 85mm f1.8 would be a nice choice. Gives you more reach than 50mm. For high school you really need low light capabilities unless you can use flash.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 7:50 PM   #3

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
I think 85mm f1.8 would be a nice choice. Gives you more reach than 50mm. For high school you really need low light capabilities unless you can use flash.

would i get that with this camera and lens? is the difference between the 50/1.8 and the 85/1.8 only the distance it will shoot? sorry, i really don't know anything about photography. But i love it and want tolearn, maybe take a class. but right now i want to get some good shots of my daughter playing and that time is NOW!!

thanks a bunch!

darlene
darlenerenee is offline   Reply With Quote