Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 11, 2005, 3:28 PM   #11

The FZ-5 is also a fine camera. It has virtually the same zoom range as the S2 IS, which will give you a bit more reach than the Fuji for those bird shots, but not much more. The FZ-5 has the worst video mode of the lot. If you care about that, the FZ-5 is a bad choice. It also doesn't have the ability to manually focus, unlike the other two. On the plus side, it has the brightest (widest f-stop) lens at long zoom of the lot. Any of these cameras would be a good camera. You may want to go to a store where you can get your hands on them and see which one seems to have your name on it.

The biggest thing to worry about with any of these cameras is that they lack a hot shoe for external flash. Make sure that you really don't care about using external flash before you decide on one of these. External flash provides much better illumination (my little Sunpak reaches out to as much as 60 feet, while the built in flashes range from about 12 to 20 feet max); you can do bounce flash with an external flash but not a built-in (makes the lighting more natural than built-in, which tends to make people look washed out and -- because of the limited reach -- the background unnaturally dark); and most built-ins will cause red-eye (I don'f find this last a big deal, as it is trivial to remove with absolutely any image processing program, but all the reviewers belabor this as though it were a problem). The down side of external flash is that it adds bulkand upsetsthebalance of your camera. Some inexpensive cameras that lack a hot shoe can be set up with a slave flash (a second flash that flashes when it detects the built-in flash' light), but this is generally not a very pleasing option and is a lot harder to use well than an external flash, which is used instead of the built-in flash.

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 4:01 PM   #12

CCtrader,

there is a french website, on which you can compare two cameras, e.g. the Canon with the fz5.

You can find this site via the following link:

http://www.lesnumeriques.com/duels.php?ty=1&ma1=60&mo1=151&p1=545&a mp;ma2=1&mo2=140&p2=519&ph=1

There is a number greater of the panny, the fz20, which has a hot shoe, manual focus, but a bad video like the fz5. In Germany this camera is about 100,- € more expensive than the fz5.

Regards Peter

pana2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 4:44 AM   #13

Well, after reading all of your explanations, i realize, that all the cameras have a lot of limitations, and that the best choice is to go one step further and buy a DSLR.

I think i'll go to the Nikon D50, it seems to me a great buy and it isn't too expensive...

If you have any other recomendation i would be glad to to have it...

Thank you all again...

CCtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 6:03 AM   #14

CCTrader,

if I were you and a beginner, I would begin with a SLR.

a SLR is rather difficult to work with and is limitated, too.

Why do you don't buy the Sony H1.
It has qute a good price/quality-ratio and with this camera you can make films, too.

You canj learn with this camera and if you see that you have fun with the camera you can buy a SLR later on. Then you have a very good camera and a secand camera to make films with.

Regards peter
Old Nov 12, 2005, 6:03 AM   #15

CCTrader,

if I were you and a beginner, I would begin with a SLR.

a SLR is rather difficult to work with and is limitated, too.

Why do you don't buy the Sony H1.
It has qute a good price/quality-ratio and with this camera you can make films, too.

You canj learn with this camera and if you see that you have fun with the camera you can buy a SLR later on. Then you have a very good camera and a secand camera to make films with.

Regards peter
Old Nov 12, 2005, 8:11 AM   #16

Just to express an alternative view -- if you can afford it, I bet you'll be thrilled with the D50. You can spend years growing into it, but if you start with a decent kit lens, you can start treating it like a point and shoot that is higher quality and no harder to use than any of the cameras we've been discussing.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 8:18 PM   #17

:|A DSLR like the Nikon D50 isthe bestchoice, but it's also a more expensive one, especially when you add on lenses, flash, etc.Cameras like the S5200/5600 and the S2 IS are not meant as a poor man's DSLR - they are a totally different class of camera, just like a 35mmrange-finderis different froma 35mm SLR. You can take great pictures with either class of camera, but all other things being equal, the SLR willusually give you better results.

Just like everything else, it's not always a question of which is best, it's which is the best you can afford. Once you figure that out, go for it. In my case, it was the S5200.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote