Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 11, 2005, 6:57 AM   #1

Fuji FinePix S5600 Zoom / Canon S2 IS

Ignoring the fact that one camera has an optical zoom of 12x and the other 10x. Which one the two you think it's a better buy?
:?

Thanks,

Steve

CCtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2005, 10:26 AM   #2

To my mind, the Fuji is the better buy. They're both decent cameras. However, the Canon is over six months old, and has yet to experience a price drop. Normally, there is a significant drop by now. If the S2 IS were selling forunder $425 instead of $475 or more street, I might have a different view...
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 11:11 AM   #3

I agree, the S2 does still have a fairly high price tag in comparison to much of the competition. However, that is just evidence that the camera is quite the performer. It's specifications really say a lot about the camera and why it's priced where it is.

Still, like tclune said...$475 is a bit much to be paying for it when you can get an S5200 for $330. I found my S2 for $422 (with tax it was $460). So, deals are out there, but it's still a relatively significant price difference.

The only thing I really like about the S5200 (over the S2) is the ISO capability. But, that is a HUGE feature to have.

If you are considering buying one of these two camera's, you should probably look carefully into what you want out of your decision.
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 11:53 AM   #4

Well, i see your point... But the thing is, if you could also ignore the price... what would be the choice?

There are a few things that i don't understand like:

Aperture
Shutter speed

And i getting confused with that...

Old Nov 11, 2005, 12:14 PM   #5

Hi,

there are two kinds of cameras, which try to reduce the noise: the fuji S5600/S5200
and on the other hand the three cameras: Sony h1, Canon S2IS and the Panasonic FZ5.

The fuji-camera tries to reduce noise by going up on the ISO-scale up to the value 800 resp. 1600. By going up with the ISO-values you have automatically more noise; thus this camera has to reduce the noise by a technical advice (real imaging processing).
Doing this you loose details.

The other way is by image-stabilizator. As the three cameras have about the same image-quality and the Canon IS2S is much too expensive (in Germany about 420,- €) you can leave out this camera. Now you have only the two cameras: FZ5 and H1.
You must decide for yourself: FZ5 resp. H1 or fuji S5600/5200.

The price of all the three cameras is about the same.

pana2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 1:51 PM   #6

Hey Pana,

I think you're leaving out a lot of details that are important to making a decision. First, the ISO ability of the Fuji S5200 is only needed when there is low light or tolower exposure time, which can help prevent motion blur as well as camera shake.

Image stabilization does a very good job at preventing camera shake, BUT it does nothing to help motion blur.

Secondly, the S2 may seem too expensive for you. But, the original poster wasn't too concerned about price. Keep in mind, the S2 is more expensive because it has features the other camera's do not have: Articulating LCD, Video mode w/ capture, stereo sound, exceptional burst mode, etc. Some people feel it's price is justified (I certainly do if not at full retail - nobody should buy at full retail!).

trader,

Price aside, I can't honestly recommend one camera over the other (for your needs). Me personally, I take a lot of outdoor action shots and the S2 does an extremely good job of this...great burst mode, IS for the 432mm zoom range, no need to up the ISO to stop the action.

Where the Fuji will shine is if it is overcast, or if you are indoors. In this case, you can up the ISO to a setting higher than what the S2 IS can do. It might help prevent motion blur in a situation where the S2 IS would fail. Of course, raising the ISO introduces noise, but there are situations where you MUST increase the ISO to get an image...and in these situations, the Fuji will produce LESS noise at equivalent ISO settings than the S2 IS.

If you can give more details as to what you're interested in doing with your camera, I think everyone can better recommend which one is better (for you).
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 2:28 PM   #7

CCtrader,

you can judge the quality of a camera by looking at the images.

Here is a website on which you can find a plenty of images of both the cameras.

http://www.pbase.com/cameras

Regards Peter
Old Nov 11, 2005, 2:57 PM   #8

Thank you all for the help!!!

After reading all posts... it seems to me that the Panasonic FZ5should be considered an option.

What do you think?

I want the camera to shoot birds, landscapes, animals, etc...
Old Nov 11, 2005, 3:21 PM   #9

CCtrader,

the panny fz5 is a very good camera. On dpreview there are reviews.
All the three named cameras have gotten as result 'Higly recommended'.

You can further see that there is almost no difference regarding the image-quality.

And now: it depends.
If you want make pictures of landscapes and other still motives an image stabilzation would be preferable.

If you want to make pictures of animals, which move rather quickly the Fuji would be a good deal.

As swgod already said, " image stabilization does a very good job at preventing camera shake, but it does nothing to help motion blur".

Old Nov 11, 2005, 3:27 PM   #10

CCtrader,

I 've forgotten two important things:

The fz5 is a very light camera (about 340 g).
You can take it easily with you where you go.

And the fz5 has the best objectives (Leica)

Regards Peter